Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Monitor with RCA jacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

These kinds of questions come up all the time.

Some adapters only go one way. Some go one way, some the other way, some go both ways.

This one only goes VGA to S, but unfortunately it's a very specialized type of VGA too, not ordinary VGA which is output from many PC cards. The card must also support getting S vid out of a VGA connector, which is different than standard VGA. Nigel pointed this out.

The type of adapter i was pointing out earlier however was also not the right type. I misread the statement i apologize for that. That one goes from S to composite to VGA, not VGA to S which is what he wants, but it must be standard VGA not special function VGA unless his card supports that and unfortunately most cards dont.

Some cards that have a VGA output also have a S video output but on a small circular connector not RCA jacks, which would make this much simpler.

This kind of converter is probably going to be an actual converter not just a cable with passive components. It will probably cost must more unless you get lucky.

Something like this (but check over carefully to make sure it has the output you want):
https://www.meritline.com/pc-to-tv-vga-to-rca-vga-to-s-video-converter---p-54683.aspx

Last edited:
Sorry Nigel, guess I missed something. Thanks for pointing that out--I see my mistake now.

Regards,
Matt

I'm not convinced the OP is sure of what he's trying to do

Exactly right! See posts 1,5,10 &12.
I've received a lot of info. I'll sort through it ,Probably try someting, possibly fail and still learn something. I will post when the verdict is in. Thanks. Aaron

I have a HDMI to composite/S-video out that I use sometimes to watch movies on my PC to an NTSC TV. I'm a bit behind the times and have some TV distribution issues in that room, so I can "connect" to an NTSC tuner that's on my network and stream it or I can stream an internet sream to that TV. The 640 x 480 resolution is not conducive to easily readable text.

The OP gets to sort out the info. VGA didn't even come up initially from the OP and I just brought up HDMI.

Last edited:
Hi again,

Another possibility is to pick up a new PC card that puts out S video. The older ones that do this are probably pretty cheap by now. That's of course if the PC in question takes a card for the video and it isnt built in, unless it can take a card and you can turn off the built in video in the bios.

Also something to think about is that this monitor isnt going to provide anything near top end video, or even low end video, because it's essentially "TV Video" which is the worst of all videos.

OK, so here's the verdict. It will not work with the cable hack from post #8. All I get is trash. It does work well when plugged in to a DVD player.
I beleive this was once used as a computer monitor but know not what kind of computer. Did some use TV standard output?
So anyway, it'll go back out to the garage attic and I'll be looking for something else. Spending more than a few bucks on this would defeat the purpose.
Thaks for yor replies. As always, I learned something!

Aaron

OK, so here's the verdict. It will not work with the cable hack from post #8. All I get is trash.

We know, and told you so :D

It does work well when plugged in to a DVD player.

Again, as we knew :D

I beleive this was once used as a computer monitor but know not what kind of computer. Did some use TV standard output?

The Commodore Amiga (and various home computers from that time) used TV standard outputs, although to give a decent picture you needed RGB and not just Composite.

AGCB,

Don't give up just yet.

On some PCs you can configure the PC video adapter to provide a composite (RCA) video signal at the VGA port (such as on my HP Pavillion g7). Thus, the cable you hacked might work.

For that we need to know the particulars of the computer (especially the VGA video adapter) you wish to connect to the Commodore monitor.

VGAs often can be configured so that they can be attched to screen projectors (like in a classroom), almost all of which take a composite input.

Attachments

• HP control Display.JPG
    HP control Display.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 177
particulars of the computer (especially the VGA video adapter)

cowboybob

I don't see any options like that in the control panel. The computer I use for programming is 6-8 years old. I had it put together by a friend of used parts so WHO KNOWS. It works great for what I use it for. It's not on the web. Thanks for your help.
Aaron

Well, probably the cheapest and easiest solution (since I think having a Commodore working monitor is very cool) is one of these.

It does require an external 5VDC (or USB) power source (not supplied). So, maybe this.

Anyway, just hate to see the monitor get trashed...

Last edited:
Have you got photographs of the monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back