Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

moisture sensitive

Status
Not open for further replies.

George L.

Hello,

I just ordered parts from mouser for some projects, stocking up!

One of the products I ordered, Green/Red Bi-color SMD LED (part # 78-TLMV3100) has a red sticker saying:

"NOTICE Parts are moisture sensitive. Bake prior to vapor or IR soldering to reduce the chance of damage."

What does this mean, if I leave then in a moist room will they be damaged??

I have never seen this before.

Has anyone seen this before?

thanks,

George L.

This is quite common in the electronics industry. Many IC packages have the potential to let a tiny amount of moisture into the package. If this happens and then the factory tries to solder the IC using the standard heating cycle of a soldering oven, which heats the part fairly quickly, then the water vapor might expand and cause the package to burst (or something like that). Most IC reels are shipped in sealed foil bags to keep moisture out, and if you open the bag but not use the reel for a while, then you are supposed to bake the entire reel slowly at a low temperature to get the moisture out. Then it is OK to use these ICs in a normal reflow oven.

I've never had any problems soldering pin by pin with an iron and haven't heard of anyone else suffering problems due to moisture, so its pretty safe I believe. Lots of my junk box ICs are old and they always work when I solder them.

RadioRon said:
I've never had any problems soldering pin by pin with an iron and haven't heard of anyone else suffering problems due to moisture, so its pretty safe I believe. Lots of my junk box ICs are old and they always work when I solder them.

Yes, the small possibility of problems is only of concern to manufacturing techniques, where they are flow soldered - hand soldering isn't a concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back