Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modify a digital clamp ammeter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Externet

Hello.
Have a simple Cen-Tech ampermeter #95652 and the AC scales are too large for my needs : 200 Amperes and 1000 Amperes.
Did not find the schematic for it and would prefer to have a 10A (or 20A) scale instead of the 1000A.

Would you have any surgery suggestions ?

1656816990557.png

This guts from a very similar unit are shown on the web; there is a couple of trimmers by the sensing coil plug...:angelic:
1656816739462.png

Last edited:
Found my ammeter to be modified has a 2.7 Ohm resistor in parallel with the sensing coil terminals ! :oops:
Then the sensing coil signal passes trough a single 1K series trimmer resistor to the rest of the circuitry that should be the A/D converter.
Removed the resistor and without it; a current that previously showed 4 Amperes now displays 84 !
Will tailor its value and the trimmer to bring the reading to proper value. So far, optimistic that can be shifted to a tenth of the original scales of 200 and 1000 Amperes becoming 20 and 100 Amperes. Will see if the decimal point is manageable...

That's typical for a current transformer setup. The 2.7R would be coarse calibration & the trimmer fine adjustment.

I'd suggest you now add back-to-back fast recovery diodes across the CT output to avoid it frying the meter board it it is ever put on a high current cable, though.

A CT can generate crazy voltages if the load (eg. a preset in that) becomes open circuit; something like a mini tesla coil...

Thanks for teaching me something new today.

Edited, added : The original 2.7 Ohm resistor produced a 4 Amperes reading.
A 33 Ohm resistor instead produced a '28.3' reading.
A 56 Ohm resistor produced a '44.6' reading;
A 51 Ohm resistor produced a '40.2' reading; will stick to that one.

With ~4 Amperes flowing,
I get '040' reading on the 1000A scale, should be '04.0' for a now-fake100A scale.
I get '40.2' reading on the 200A scale, should be '4.02' for a now-fake 20A scale.

Will scratch my head with the decimal point, has to shift one position. Unknown 'COB' IC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back