Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mobile Phone Ringer -outside extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

tytower

Banned
Is there any system to plug onto the bottom of my mobile when it is sitting on my desk to make the ring loud enough to be heard outside?

I have to use an external antenna to get coverage and so my phone sits on the desk plugged in to the antenna. When it rings I can't hear it .

I searched for ringer and extension with no luck

Its a nokia phone

justDIY said:
you could rig up an alarm bell to a sound-detector type circuit. using a pass-filter on the input so the circuit only keys to the high pitched noise of a cellphone ringer, and not just people making noise in the office.

Yeah, but if he's going for sound detection, wouldn't it be a bonus if was alerted when somebody was going through his desk, or using his cellphone. Isn't annoying enough hear cellphones ringing in the work place, and to make it even louder. No wonder there are so many requests for cellphone jammers...

Not sure, but aren't there cellphone plans, where you can have two phones on the same number? Perhaps the signal won't be as clear, but you would atleast get the ring...

At the risk of stating the obvious, it is a MOBILE PHONE, I think that Nokia intended that you take it outside with you.

That sounds like a simple cost effective solution to me.

JimB

the OP suggests the phone is unable to communicate with the tower without the benefit of a fixed external antenna, hence the need to leave it in said office.

the easiest solution would be to tell your carrier to fix the reception problem or cancel your contract and go with someone that has reception in your area.

Well thats interesting. Thanks to those who posted.
Yep I'm an the Far North Queensland, Australia and our service provider has a Government backed monopoly -Telstra . You don't tell them anything .

I'm in the country on the fringe of reception due to a hill We do have other providers but they just don't have any coverage where I am . Nearest is 12km away. (8miles) Just to get reception

My office is just me so a lot of the above is not relevent thanks . Yes the antenna is the only way I can get calls and I can't be in the office all day . I work from home . When I watch TVor work outside I don't hear the phone.

So thats the problem and something tuned to sound seems like the answer. But what then . A piezo speaker wired somehow , a mike wired as a switch. ?

Its got a vibrator too so maybe I could use that?
Thats my question ,what would you suggest might do the job?

What do all the contacts at the bottom do apart from charge input? Surely there is a speaker out or some form of high line when the phone rings? I can build with IC's and trannys and stuff.

"If you don't have a planet what good are gold bars". Well I reckon it depends where you are standing , if you are on a space ship with a self sustaining Pub , self sustaining Women and self sustaining light snacks I might like to take some with me to remember you with.

Last edited:
Wax beat me to it ... I was just going to suggest some sort of LDR circuit to detect when the backlight turns on :)

The pins on the bottom of the phone probably do all sorts of things, there's probably a USB port, a serial port, a speaker and microphone port, charging input and a lot of ground pins. But which one is which is anyone's guess. Google might know the answer, or you could spend weeks searching, instead of building a sound or light activated switch.

another option is to buy an external handset accessory for your phone, and hack it to suit your needs. Nokia is a very popular brand, so it shouldn't be a probably to find one, but it might be expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back