Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Opamp current clamp outside common mode range

Flyback

Attachments

• Current clamp.jpg
    Current clamp.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 128
  • Current clamp.asc
    2.5 KB · Views: 103
If you are just outside the common mode input range, it will function with less gain and slow.
At some point the output is unpredictable.
Many spice models do not watch for CMIR.

Thanks, this is always the situation, when someting is outside of limits, and what then happens......regarding the NON TL084H versions, ie the TL084CDT version...this is what a "Guru" on the offficial Texas instruments forum says...

QUOTE >>>>>>
The datasheet says that the common-mode input voltage range typically goes up to V+. So I'd expect the worst that would happen is that the electrical characteristics are not met, i.e., that the offset voltage could be somewhat larger than 6 mV.

Just use the TL084H (or TL081H for a single channel) instead, which is guaranteed to go up to V+ (and is cheaper, and has a smaller offset voltage).
<<<<<< UNQUOTE

So, if we dont use the TL084H, but other TL084x , then, now with this extra info..... what would be the worst that could happen may i ask?

Is the load actually a 100 ohm resistance? If not, what is it? I have a circuit for you that should work if the maximum voltage across the load is not more than about 12 volts.
EDIT:
The 5.1v zener could be replaced by a 47 ohm resistor.
You might not need the Darlington pair, or the 0.62 ohm resistor.
You might be able to use the same technique on your existing circuit.

Attachments

• Current source 80ma.PNG
    Current source 80ma.PNG
    17.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Current source 80ma.asc
    1.8 KB · Views: 61
  • TL084.zip
    702 bytes · Views: 59
  • LT1389.zip
    815 bytes · Views: 58
Last edited:
Is the load actually a 100 ohm resistance? If not, what is it? I have a circuit for you that should work if the maximum voltage across the load is not more than about 12 volts.
I have updated the schematic. See attached.

Attachments

• Current source 80ma.asc
    1.6 KB · Views: 55
  • TL084.zip
    702 bytes · Views: 59
  • Current source 80ma(1).PNG
    Current source 80ma(1).PNG
    15.5 KB · Views: 53
why does question seem repetitive recently?

I answered before the TL07xx handles Vcm toVcc+

TL07xx Low-Noise FET-Input Operational Amplifiers
1 Features
• High slew rate: 20 V/μs (TL07xH, typ)
• Low offset voltage: 1 mV (TL07xH, typ)
• Low offset voltage drift: 2 μV/°C
• Low power consumption: 940 μA/ch (TL07xH, typ)
• Wide common-mode and differential
voltage ranges
– Common-mode input voltage range
includes VCC+

"guaranteed"

why does question seem repetitive recently?

I answered before the TL07xx handles Vcm toVcc+
Thanks Tony, only the TL074H and TL084H offer CM input range up to Vcc+.
As we discussed before, the datasheet is somewhat misleading......and comes tantamount to down right contradicting itself.

It seems to be playing on peoples belief that people think that JFET input opamps tend to have CM input range up to the POS rail...which they dont.

Its the marketing people...they are basically mugging people in to wrongly using the TL074(not H) on thier PCB...then when they find it doesnt work....they push them into the TL074H....which does work....but its the only sub $3 opamp in the world that has CM input to the pos rail, and can also do 20V pos rail.......so people of course, would not usually choose such a one-off part in the first place (second source problems).......but this is how people are being mugged over.....its a clever little trick i confess.

Thanks Tony, only the TL074H and TL084H offer CM input range up to Vcc+.
As we discussed before, the datasheet is somewhat misleading......and comes tantamount to down right contradicting itself.

It seems to be playing on peoples belief that people think that JFET input opamps tend to have CM input range up to the POS rail...which they dont.

Its the marketing people...they are basically mugging people in to wrongly using the TL074(not H) on thier PCB...then when they find it doesnt work....they push them into the TL074H....which does work....but its the only sub $3 opamp in the world that has CM input to the pos rail, and can also do 20V pos rail.......so people of course, would not usually choose such a one-off part in the first place (second source problems).......but this is how people are being mugged over.....its a clever little trick i confess.
false assumptions lead to false concluisions
1707263235348.png

that refers to his comment on the 84C and not my reaction to the 74 which does have a 2nd source with TI that typically works Vcm=Vcc+ but ST does not guarantee all will do this, just typ.

1707337404621.png

so it is a yield issue which may or may not affect costs and shipments on-time. But it is a 2nd source.
Also I didn't know TL084C exists at ST
. I only found TL084I/AI/AC/BI/B at
and
TL081, TL081A, TL081B, TL081H at TI
yet
I only recommended the 74 from either TI and ST although suffixes are not all the same. TL074I, AI, BI TL074C, AC, BC from ST
With TI's drop-in improved replacement TL074H

A better design may be useful.

Furthermore since TI recently improved the 74 to be more cost-effective in the "H" version, with EMI hardening and improved performance, one should not assume this product will cease production anytime soon!.

umm!

Last edited:

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back