Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

microphone question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulot

Hello
permit me to say a HAPPY NEW YEAR i hope it's not too late for that, it's my first time here this year.
I have a puzzling question. Over here, there are a lot of cheap wireless microphones that come in a set of 2 mics with a reciver that you connect to an Amp. But i've heard the comment more than once that you can't use two of them together ( i mean two sets at a time). I really don't understand and i hope you can make sense out of this.

My second question is also on sound. In a live recording i heard just after it was recorded, sound was breaking though the output form the live stage was good. Why is the sound in the recording breaking? is the Amp too weak for it or or the signal too poor?
I'll be greatful for any answer given.
Thanks

If both mics use the same carrier frequency, there could be interference problems. But, if the carrier frequencies are different, there should not be a problem.

I don't know what you mean by "sound breaking through"?

ulot said:
Hello
permit me to say a HAPPY NEW YEAR i hope it's not too late for that, it's my first time here this year.
I have a puzzling question. Over here, there are a lot of cheap wireless microphones that come in a set of 2 mics with a reciver that you connect to an Amp. But i've heard the comment more than once that you can't use two of them together ( i mean two sets at a time). I really don't understand and i hope you can make sense out of this.

The ones I've seen advertised seem to suggest you can use both mikes together, they are generally intended for duo's at Karaoke.

If you mean can you use two complete sets? (four mikes, two receivers), I would have thought it doubtful - I don't think they are capable of changing channels.

But the operative word here is 'cheap', they are cheap, and quality and performance is likely to be LOW!.

My second question is also on sound. In a live recording i heard just after it was recorded, sound was breaking though the output form the live stage was good. Why is the sound in the recording breaking? is the Amp too weak for it or or the signal too poor?
I'll be greatful for any answer given.

Sorry, but your question doesn't make much sense? - what do you mean by 'breaking'?, and how was it recorded - generally you would use outputs direct from the mixing desk, with perhaps an extra mike or two for live ambience?.

mic. question

Carrier frequency
2 mic recievers from the same company, shouldn't their carrier frequency be the same?.

duo's at Karaoke
Please what does that mean?

Each reciever recieves signals from 2 mics so 2 recievers will be for 4. Each one is connected to a line on a mixer so the output from the 4 mics is mixed and sent to the speakers but the problem again is that both don't work together : one works and the other doesn't. if you switch of the working one, the other works and the previous doesn't work again if you switch it on later. Hope my question is clearer now? and are your answers to them the same or do you see something else?

And when I said break in my second question, I meant almost like the sound of a scratched CD without the clip sounds though. singer sings into the mic, keyboard plays and both lines go to an amp. , a mixer and then a sterio tape recorder. the recorded sound when played back later was breaking. Hope this is clearer too and do you have more to tell me?

Thanks again for putting up with my childish quetions - am one at least as far as electronics is concerned :)
Thanks again.

2 mic recievers from the same company, shouldn't their carrier frequency be the same?.

Each set would probably have a mic that is 100MHZ and a mic that is 105MHZ, or else it would be impossible to use them at the same time.

Each reciever recieves signals from 2 mics so 2 recievers will be for 4. Each one is connected to a line on a mixer so the output from the 4 mics is mixed and sent to the speakers but the problem again is that both don't work together : one works and the other doesn't. if you switch of the working one, the other works and the previous doesn't work again if you switch it on later. Hope my question is clearer now? and are your answers to them the same or do you see something else?

Do two mics come with each receiver that you have, like this:
Set 1. Receiver, mic, mic
Set 2. Receiver, mic, mic

If they are the same exact sets, then this will happen:
Set 1. Mic1-100MHZ, Mic2-105MHZ
Set 2. Mic1-100MHZ, Mic2-105MHZ

As you can see, if mic2 from each set is turned on, you'll have trouble because both of them are on the same carrier frequency. The same will happen with mic1.

Re: mic. question

ulot said:
Carrier frequency

duo's at Karaoke
Please what does that mean?

Karaoke is the (often horrible) singing along to backing tracks in public places, a 'duo' is two people singing together, each with their own microphone. The cheap dual wireless mikes are usually intended for this, rather than a proper professional/quality use - their price reflects it!.

Unless you are using expensive professional quality microphones and receivers, carefully chosen so you can use four at once, it's unlikely it's going to work. Each microphone requires it's own frequency, cheap ones usually only have two possible options.

Thanks alot I'm very greatful for your help.
So i surpose if the two sets are made by diffrent manufaturers the frequency could be diffrent?
or... is it possible to alter the frequency at least just for the fun and knowledge of it? (cos' I know you must spend good money to get good sound)
You've really helped me understand, thank's alot.

ulot said:
Thanks alot I'm very greatful for your help.
So i surpose if the two sets are made by diffrent manufaturers the frequency could be diffrent?
or... is it possible to alter the frequency at least just for the fun and knowledge of it? (cos' I know you must spend good money to get good sound)

Usually specific channels are used, cheap ones probably all use the same channels, but they should be marked with their frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back