Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller Programmer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Multi Pc Programmer

hi. who made this programmer it seem easy and simple i want to use it dose it work with all pc?
the shematic and SUPPORT all pic micro
sch528.gif

Last edited:
I would say not, as it's based on the JDM, the most unreliable programmer there is, and the one that has most problems with specific PC's.

I would strongly suggest building a Junebug (PICKit2 clone).

I would say not, as it's based on the JDM, the most unreliable programmer there is, and the one that has most problems with specific PC's.

I would strongly suggest building a Junebug (PICKit2 clone).

thank's for your suggestion i'll build PICKIT2 clone programmer

Last edited:
personally, i did not experience reliability issues with the JDM. its a good one to start with, most certainly because of the ease of building it.

personally, i did not experience reliability issues with the JDM. its a good one to start with, most certainly because of the ease of building it.

I have no doubt that it works well for you but please do you homework. This post could cause other people problems.

The JDM depends on the RS232 port having enough voltage to make it work. The newer your computer is the less likely it is that the RS232 will have that voltage. In some cases you will not even have an RS232 port.

This is well documented.

Agreed M8. USB was created to fix such hardware incompatibly issues. But if you know RS232 this is not an issue,they both do the job.

Some, like me, also miss RS232 for it simplicity compared with USB.

-BaC
Long Live CLI!..lol
I have no doubt that it works well for you but please do you homework. This post could cause other people problems.

The JDM depends on the RS232 port having enough voltage to make it work. The newer your computer is the less likely it is that the RS232 will have that voltage. In some cases you will not even have an RS232 port.

This is well documented.

Last edited:
I'll be moving (probably to AVR) for any more complex future projects though. PWM on a AT89C4051 is a pain in the butt. :)
Torben
This is like kicking a dead camel but here goes!
Hi Torben i wanted to know why are you going to base your future projects on avrs since i have done 8051 and starting on pics(which i see every one using).AVRs are cheap here cost under a dollar and they are cheap to program via software but since everybody is doing pic so i plan to go for it unless you and others suggest otherwise?

This is like kicking a dead camel but here goes!

I love figures of speech from different languages and cultures. :)

Hi Torben i wanted to know why are you going to base your future projects on avrs since i have done 8051 and starting on pics(which i see every one using).AVRs are cheap here cost under a dollar and they are cheap to program via software but since everybody is doing pic so i plan to go for it unless you and others suggest otherwise?

Well, since I have recently become the proud owner of a Junebug due to the generosity of a fellow forum member, I now plan to use PICs instead of AVRs. I haven't gotten started just yet though since suddenly my life has become very busy again (new job starting soon).

The main reason I had been planning on going with AVRs was that we have some devices at work which use them--not because of any great difference in performance or features, which I confess I have not researched very deeply.

Torben

It is working for me on my desktop with Intel945 Mobo, and on winXP.

This is the sort of thing where it will work for some and not others. There are easy to build programmers that do not suffer from this problem. A parallel port or serial port unit that does not depend on the RS232 port for 12V is a better choice. LVP can also be considered.

It is a bad idea to encourage people to build JDM.

This is the sort of thing where it will work for some and not others. There are easy to build programmers that do not suffer from this problem. A parallel port or serial port unit that does not depend on the RS232 port for 12V is a better choice. LVP can also be considered.

It is a bad idea to encourage people to build JDM.

Once we provide external power supply, i feel COM port based programmers work OK. Perhaps that is what exactly DL4YHF has done. You are right in the sense of modern Com ports with 3.3V
Microchip has provided for level translation from other voltages to TTL
the problem with parallel port appears that in some OSs , until the LPT port is reconfigured, it is not working. Whole issue becomes aggravated as the Laptops take over and no more com port (a real one)
Then comes the problems with USB that the power delivered on the supply line would be barely short of the needs and calls for another externally fed USB arrangement.

I feel that we can safely derive 5V from the existing COM Ports , and the needed 13.x volts Vpp can be locally derived by a modern small p 5 pin device (Dc-DC converter( I always used to recommend MC34063A, though).

i saw at least one programmer where this technique is adopted.

hi again, since i am about to embark on the wonderful journey of cloning of a junebug i wanted to ask several questions:

What does Vpp,Vdd,HVP,LVP Mean?i readon some posts here that some chips use HVP and others use LVP and whats the diffrence between Vpp and Vdd in te programmer?

Clarification.

A JDM-ish programmer by definition takes the voltage for VPP directly from the com port. If you use an external supply or a charge pump as you suggest below it is not JDM. It is only the JDM-ish programers I have problems with
people suggesting.

There are many ways tp build a programmer. In my opinion and this is a
opinion: If a person intends to develop their own code it makes much more
sense to build a programer like an ICD2 or PICkit clone which have ICD.

If you have a part number for that 5 pin DC-DC converter I would like it.

3v0 :)

Once we provide external power supply, i feel COM port based programmers work OK. Perhaps that is what exactly DL4YHF has done. You are right in the sense of modern Com ports with 3.3V
Microchip has provided for level translation from other voltages to TTL
the problem with parallel port appears that in some OSs , until the LPT port is reconfigured, it is not working. Whole issue becomes aggravated as the Laptops take over and no more com port (a real one)
Then comes the problems with USB that the power delivered on the supply line would be barely short of the needs and calls for another externally fed USB arrangement.

I feel that we can safely derive 5V from the existing COM Ports , and the needed 13.x volts Vpp can be locally derived by a modern small p 5 pin device (Dc-DC converter( I always used to recommend MC34063A, though).

i saw at least one programmer where this technique is adopted.

Clarification.

A JDM-ish programmer by definition takes the voltage for VPP directly from the com port. If you use an external supply or a charge pump as you suggest below it is not JDM. It is only the JDM-ish programers I have problems with
people suggesting.

There are many ways tp build a programmer. In my opinion and this is a
opinion: If a person intends to develop their own code it makes much more
sense to build a programer like an ICD2 or PICkit clone which have ICD.

If you have a part number for that 5 pin DC-DC converter I would like it.

3v0 :)
As long as Software driver recognizes it as JDM, we may call it JDM or JDM clone if not JDM-ish. once Job is done, it is fine.
Y-day, I had assembled the JDM in its original form. I understand that 13.5 generation is taking time as it is a combination of 5.1 and 8.2V zenors. each having 100uF filter, it is taking time thus the early words are not getting loaded perhaps.
I am not pleading JDM but instead of calling cheap or costly as some comment, let us examine what exactly troubles it to behave erratic
perhaps a diagonistics can be conducted on it
I do agree that nothing to beat PICKIT2 or Junebug.

Last edited:
mvs sarma said:
As long as Software driver recognizes it as JDM, we may call it JDM or JDM clone if not JDM-ish. once Job is done, it is fine.
You may call it anything you wish. But if you do then we need to qualify the warning regarding JDM programers to differentiate between real ones and ones with the problem fixed.

My view is that a programmer without ICD is only useful in building your first programmer with ICD. To that end, it only needs to program 1 chip once. Not much point putting a lot of work or design into them. I still think using LVP is worth a try as we talked about earlier. A few resistors on a bread board.

3v0

hello dears
i want to use PWM for make a LED pulser it mean i want to produce triangular wave for make LED pulser for example turn on LED in 2 seconds and off in 2second.
can you tell me what can i do or programming in PIC ?
thanks

This thread is about PIC programmers. Only the people who have been following it will read what your wrote. I suggest you start a new thread with a title like "LED Pulser PWM Question". That will attract the attention of people who can help you.
3v0

hello dears
i want to use PWM for make a LED pulser it mean i want to produce triangular wave for make LED pulser for example turn on LED in 2 seconds and off in 2second.
can you tell me what can i do or programming in PIC ?
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back