1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

Microcontroller Programmer!!

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers' started by silvarblade, Jul 26, 2008.

1. 3v0

3v0 Coop Build Coordinator Forum Supporter

CON2 (ICD) is used to program PICs while they are on the target board. That saves a lot of time, and wear&tear on the PIC. It also allows you to program any size chip even surface mount!

To use it you place a 2x5 pin header on the target and connect it to CON2 using a ribbon cable.

To program other then 18 pin chips out of circuit I made a simple board with one socket for each size PIC. You could do like the programmers do and use a single combo socket setup but then you have to figure out where to put the chip. Easier this way, sockets are cheap. But I only use it when programing PICs for proven designs like the Junebug.

2. silvarblade

silvarblade Member

me again!!

what are we going to use as con3? a zif socket? because there is no specification?

3. Mike - K8LH

Mike - K8LH Well-Known Member

Hi 3v0,

Just design your "combo sockets" so that pin 1 always goes in the pin 1 position. Here's how I did it on a home-brew programmer adapter long ago (using single-in-line machined pin sockets). Use the little 20 pin socket for 8 pin, 14 pin, 18 pin, and 20 pin PICs.

[​IMG]

Also, check out page 2 of this old thread where we discussed using a 40 pin ZIF socket (or three 20 pin single-in-line machined pin sockets) with two ICSP connectors and "flipping" the adapter 180° for 8-20 or 28-40 target devices.

Yet Another ICD2 Emulator

Mike

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  4. dave

Dave New Member

5. silvarblade

silvarblade Member

hey can you help me with con3?

6. 3v0

3v0 Coop Build Coordinator Forum Supporter

What do you want to know about con3 ?

7. blueroomelectronics

blueroomelectronics Well-Known Member

Con 3 brings out unused 18F2550 PIC pins for using the Junebug as an USB experimenter. It also has many more functions some are detailed in the Junebug manual. Example the last 6 pins are PICkit2 compatible and can be used to program EEPROMs, the first 5 can be used with a second Junebug or PICkit2 for programming or debugging the Junebugs 18F2550.
    It's also handy for bypassing the BS250 FET switch for projects that need more current than 100ma. (jumper +5V to U5V)

8. BaCaRdi

BaCaRdi Member

Nope no problems here, have not had such errors with my PK2. I do however mostly burn via pk2cmd, I wish I could get my compiler to work in WINE, then I could delete the VM for windows entirely.

-BaC

9. munna007

munna007 New Member

@silver blade

friend can u plz tell me which programmer circuit do u hav selected to make.....i m also going to make a programmer circuit....

10. munna007

munna007 New Member

HAI this is ckt which i hav founf on net....but i cant understand about firmware in this ckt....do i need additional programmer to feed firmware in it????

Attached Files:

11. Krumlink

Krumlink New Member

Feed it this firmware. Just simply print out the code (with a printer) and throw your MCU in a fire. Throw the printed version in the fire too. There you go you burned your code into your MCU.

Make sure you leave the chip in there for a hour or so.

Attached Files:

12. munna007

munna007 New Member

what the hell is this buddy????

13. mvs sarma

mvs sarma Well-Known Member

Hai Munna007
    please see your posts in sequence. your 1st post was vague, in the sense, mircocontroller programmer. As of today Microcontrollers are in bee line
    so many of them.
    which controller you want to work with , you did not indicate. when you got a reply from sliverblade, it is to be taken that it is centered around Microchip programmer.
    It is OK you chose,89c52 series.you got a schematic even
    obviously you know that it has to have some firmware. it now for you to load the firmware into the chip.(your case it is 80c52)
    You may appreciate that the chip can be replaced with 89s52 and this later version can be programmed by a simple programmer any one can make. called ISP programmer for ATMEL 89S51/or S52. perhaps you may get one such programmer from www.ikalogic.com\isp.php

By the way, you may well settle for 89s52 as it is a later version and programming is very easy with isp prog.
    may be that you have to read the sticky at the opening page of micro-controller section of this site. before posting as it provides lots of info. the red mark across your name should have made you think and analyse the reasons, sir.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  14. asp1987

asp1987 New Member

Haha.. great code. :D

15. BaCaRdi

BaCaRdi Member

LMFAO, did you really put something in the txt file???? Ohh do I have to look, that is funny as hell...

Reminds me when I used to run a BBS, and the login was ctrl-alt-del, again dos, and you would not believe the amount of times you would see the code spit out the ansi or rip script, and bam! DCD drops..lmao...

EDIT: OHH MAN you did put text in there...I wounder how many chips he tried before returning to post his reply..lol

-BaC

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  16. BaCaRdi

BaCaRdi Member

17. silvarblade

silvarblade Member

wasnt that supposed to be rude??no offense!!!:confused:

18. munna007

munna007 New Member

thanks for reply sir but link here u hav given is not working....plz cehck it ????

what i understand from abovr is that u mean i can use 82s52 chip instead of 89c52 n then i can program 82s52 with separeate isp programmer ckt ....ok....is there any chip like these is avaliable whivh hav firmware already loaded????

19. asp1987

asp1987 New Member

http://www.ikalogic.com/isp.php/

There was a backward slash in it..

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  20. mvs sarma

mvs sarma Well-Known Member

21. ikalogic

ikalogic Member