Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller Programmer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvarblade

i wanted to know if there was a programmer which is cheaper then the TOP2005+ or TOP2005 programmer (costing 80$) ad can program all pic chips and the usual old and unreliable 8051,8052.

PS: why are most of the posts on this forum also repeated on allaboutcircuits.com.is this some sort of sister forum to it??:rolleyes:

For the number of devices that the TOP2005 is listed as being able to program you're not going to find a better deal that I can think of. You can find cheaper programmers of course in fact you can find one's that cost only a few dollars, but you're only going to be able to program a limited subset of PICs with them and no other devices.

8051s aren't used anymore, people use micros by other manufacturers based on its core.

Sure they are, just not so much in developed countries these days. That said, they're what I've introduced myself to µC programming with (AT89C4051), just making simple things like LED sequencers and sonar rangefinders.

Not because they're great chips, but because I was able to pick up a few of them and a programmer super-cheap. I'll be moving (probably to AVR) for any more complex future projects though. PWM on a AT89C4051 is a pain in the butt. :)

Torben

You may think about getting a PICkit2 or Junebug. Yes they are PIC specific but they can also be used as a 3 channel logic analyzer and TTL to USB virtual com port. Even if you switch to another vendor they are still useful.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that they are also allow in circuit debugging.

Last edited:
Sure they are, just not so much in developed countries these days. That said, they're what I've introduced myself to µC programming with (AT89C4051), just making simple things like LED sequencers and sonar rangefinders.
Did you read my post fully? I don't mean Atmels.

Anyway my point is, it's unlikely you'll find a programmer with 8051 or 8052 on the supported device list, you'd need to be looking out for chip names with 8051 cores.

Last edited:
Did you read my post fully? I don't mean Atmels.

Anyway my point is, it's unlikely you'll find a programmer with 8051 or 8052 on the supported device list, you'd need to be looking out for chip names with 8051 cores.

In one sense I agree with you, but "8051" has become about as generic a term as "Kleenex" or "Hoover". If you'd said "MCS 51" or "Intel 8051" I would agree with you completely--but as it is I only mostly agree with you. :)

Torben

Last edited:
urgent reply needed please!!

i found this programmer schematic on a website.i wanted to ask if it wokrs or not and whether it will program the 16f84 ic. also are PIC CHIPS REPROGRAMMABLE??and is its programmer software free to use or we can just use the kiel software with this schematic? the website is

**broken link removed**

Attachments

• picpgm_usb_v1.0.pdf
    40.3 KB · Views: 427
Why are you asking here? The page you linked has the entire list of supported devices.... Masked devices are not re-programmable, PROM based devices are one time programmable, FLASH based devices are re-programmable. I can not stress enough that looking for a dirt cheap programmer will not give you a good programmer. I would spend the dollars on something like top2005 or if you just need a few programming sessions find someone in your area that has a programmer. Trying to save a buck now will waste your time looking for deals when you could simply be programming with a good device that costs a little more than you think you're willing to spend. Add the hours research time and effort up and you'll find buying a good programmer is your first step in learning to really develop a device line. The first time you hit a brick with with a cheap programmer ( a programming method device or mode not support) will completely negate any initial cost savings in a single day.

i found this programmer schematic on a website.i wanted to ask if it wokrs or not and whether it will program the 16f84 ic. also are PIC CHIPS REPROGRAMMABLE??and is its programmer software free to use or we can just use the kiel software with this schematic? the website is

**broken link removed**
Why go for dedicated ft245xx when we can do with PIC18F2550 and with authentic software like PICKIT2 from Microchip!
By the way, Stadler's new schematic (V1.0)doesn't appear to have a suitable driver, apart from being costly. I got hold of this schematic around 2 months back.
At the end, and as on date there is nothing to beat PICKIT2, and as suggested by some one, one can do research of using this to program ATMEL and AVR flash chips.. and It gives value addition.

Last edited:
can any one give me the linkl for the pickit2 schematic cause i cant find it and the modifications to enable it to program avrs. or can the modificatiopons be done after it has been cloned.

can any one give me the linkl for the pickit2 schematic cause i cant find it and the modifications to enable it to program avrs. or can the modificatiopons be done after it has been cloned.

Could be you are missing the point. Rather then a single programer to handle N vendors chips, the PICkit only handles PICs but does it quite well. It also acts as a LA and UART tool, program serial EEPROMS.

But the number 1 thing in my book is run control which allows you to debug programs in circuit, in real time.

I am still clueless about why people want to play in both the PIC and AVR camps. As far as I know they both do about the same thing. Stick with one up to the point where you have a compelling reason to switch.

Could be you are missing the point. Rather then a single programer to handle N vendors chips, the PICkit only handles PICs but does it quite well. It also acts as a LA and UART tool, program serial EEPROMS.

The PICKIT2 would be a really poor choice to try and convert for AVR's, as it's processor based - you would have to reprogram the on-board PIC to do so, and develop your OWN PC program as well.

As you suggest, it's really such a bizzare thing to want to do?.

I am still clueless about why people want to play in both the PIC and AVR camps. As far as I know they both do about the same thing. Stick with one up to the point where you have a compelling reason to switch.

I wonder that too, some can do it (futz) with success but for most it's one camp or the other. Both PIC and AVR offer similar products in the 8 bit product line.

I wonder that too, some can do it (futz) with success but for most it's one camp or the other. Both PIC and AVR offer similar products in the 8 bit product line.
I actually don't do that much with AVR's lately. I just don't have enough free time. Lately it's 99% PICs.

And like 3v0 says, they're really kind of all the same, especially if you're programming in C. In assembler AVRs are quite nice and different. But in C it doesn't matter much what kind of chip it is, as long as it has the capabilities you need for the project.

Why do you need exclamation marks!!

PIC's have become popular lately. Frankly Microchip should be happy.

PicKit2 for AVRs? You really are stretching it. The programmer you originally posted about is probably the best as far as versatility vs price I have ever seen.

PicKit2 for AVRs? You really are stretching it. The programmer you originally posted about is probably the best as far as versatility vs price I have ever seen.
First I was not the one that suggested it. I do not see a reason why one could not reprogram a PICkit2 to ISP program AVR's. There are not enough pins on a real PICkit2 to parallel program but a Junebug might pull it off.

But why bother ?

First I was not the one that suggested it. I do not see a reason why one could not reprogram a PICkit2 to ISP program AVR's. There are not enough pins on a real PICkit2 to parallel program but a Junebug might pull it off.
The standard, and most common ISP programming mode for AVR's is LVP. I bet it wouldn't be all that difficult to make either a PICkit 2 or a Junebug do it.

But why bother ?
Exactly! You would have to write all your own software. Better be very determined. My time is worth more than that. Just buy an AVR Dragon. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back