Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mic-driven color organ to power 12V leds

Status
Not open for further replies.

s2kdemon

Hello everyone,

Can anyone help me design a 1 channel color organ adjustable for frequencies around 55Hz with an electret mic input? The LED strip is 12V and draws 100mA. I'm looking for just a flashing effect, no fading. I still have been working on this since April and I've failed so many times with this, its not even funny but I'm not about to give up. They don't teach ME students this stuff at my school. All help will be greatly appreciated!!

-Jay

Could you better describe the effect you're looking for? You just want the LEDs to come on when there is a loud enough sound? Do you have a part number for the LED strip you're using?

How sharply do you need to reject frequencies on either side of 55Hz?

I would think that the easiest way to do this would be to use an LM3915 dot/bar LED driver IC with a bandpass filter between the mic' and the LM3915 (Google "LM3915 datasheet"--it's got a bunch of example usage schematics).

What have you tried up until now that hasn't worked out for you? Could be you're close to the answer and just need a nudge, but we can't tell unless you post what failed. :)

Anyway, lunch is just about over. Gotta run. Cheers and good luck!

Torben

chuddleston,
here's the LED strip I want to use: FLB series Flexible Light Bar
The effect that I'm looking for is a simple flash (on then off) whenever there's a frequency around the 55Hz range.

torben,
The frequency range that should be able to pass could really be between 35Hz and 130Hz. If not, between 45Hz and 75Hz, but I'd rather have the bigger range of frequencies pass.

In addition, can the supply be 12V DC?
If this one fails, I'll post here what didn't work so it would be easier to go from there :D
Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back