Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

metal detector jammer

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi
i have a question and would appreciate any idea about it.
i know that metal detectors work by sending out radio frequency signals and listen for reflected signals.
in my country some thieves are using metal detectors to break into someone house and steal just the Jewellery in matter of minutes.
i was a victim of such crimes a few years back.
i want to know if it's possible to built a jammer that disrupts the metal detectors and make them unable to find any gold.
i have come to understand that just wrapping your gold with another metal like aluminium is not gonna be effective. is that right?
i searched the internet and there was nothing about this on net that i could buy.
thanks in advance
waiting for your answer

You cannot stop a metal detector detecting metals. But, you can make it useless for finding jewelry:

Put good size pieces of aluminium foil or shorted loops of copper wire on every shelf & in the base of every drawer etc., so no one stands out from the rest!

hi
i have a question and would appreciate any idea about it.
i know that metal detectors work by sending out radio frequency signals and listen for reflected signals.
in my country some thieves are using metal detectors to break into someone house and steal just the Jewellery in matter of minutes.
i was a victim of such crimes a few years back.
i want to know if it's possible to built a jammer that disrupts the metal detectors and make them unable to find any gold.
i have come to understand that just wrapping your gold with another metal like aluminium is not gonna be effective. is that right?
i searched the internet and there was nothing about this on net that i could buy.
thanks in advance
waiting for your answer

I convert all of my jewelry to cash and cash cannot be detected by metal detectors.

You cannot stop a metal detector detecting metals. But, you can make it useless for finding jewelry:

Put good size pieces of aluminium foil or shorted loops of copper wire on every shelf & in the base of every drawer etc., so no one stands out from the rest!
thanks for your input but i'm afraid it's useless since a house is already full of metals and metal detectors can find the gold despise that . i think they can tell between aluminium and copper and gold

so your wife goes around in weddings and other ceremonies with cash around her neck?
No, she's so pretty, she doesn't need jewelry (or cash) to attract attention.

Also, we put our money into buying a house in a safe neighborhood instead of buying jewelry.

Why do you have extremely simple electronic locks on your houses? They are easily opened with a simple metal detector?
Home in most of the world use locks that need a special metal key to open.

Remote controlled garage doors use a radio signal with a special code that is not produced by a metal detector or any other radio producing signal.

Get a big safe. An old one where the combination is lost is very low cost. Hide it in the closet with nothing inside. Let them take the safe. Keep the money in the bank.
1599960413331.png

thanks for your input but i'm afraid it's useless since a house is already full of metals and metal detectors can find the gold despise that . i think they can tell between aluminium and copper and gold

Metal detectors can discriminate between ferrous and non-ferrous easily.

They cannot easily tell apart non ferrous metals, especially those with similar conductivity and similar mass.
Gold and aluminium are similar, likewise copper and silver.

The cheaper metals have slightly lower conductivity so need to be slightly larger mass to give a similar reading to the expensive ones - so eg. reasonable size copper and aluminium washers should give the same results as silver or gold rings.

Having done a bit more technical research since my last answer, sheet aluminium foil would not work well as it will not retain an induced current for long - but metal washers should be ideal.
eg.
**broken link removed**

Pieces of copper or aluminium sheet metal would also work to confuse things.

This is a small extract from a very long technical article on metal detector technology:
metal_detection.jpg

As you can see, the detection effects are as much from the mass as from the metal type.

Metal detectors can discriminate between ferrous and non-ferrous easily.

They cannot easily tell apart non ferrous metals, especially those with similar conductivity and similar mass.
Gold and aluminium are similar, likewise copper and silver.

The cheaper metals have slightly lower conductivity so need to be slightly larger mass to give a similar reading to the expensive ones - so eg. reasonable size copper and aluminium washers should give the same results as silver or gold rings.

Having done a bit more technical research since my last answer, sheet aluminium foil would not work well as it will not retain an induced current for long - but metal washers should be ideal.
eg.
**broken link removed**

Pieces of copper or aluminium sheet metal would also work to confuse things.

This is a small extract from a very long technical article on metal detector technology:
View attachment 126960

As you can see, the detection effects are as much from the mass as from the metal type.
thanks for your input. can you give me the link to that article. i want to read it all.

Really the best solution is likely a safe which is lagged to a concrete floor. There are safes and there are residential security containers. Depending on replacement cost of variables I suggest a safe in a secure location.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back