Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Metal detector alteration for hearing impaired

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumber

Hi everybody! I am on to my next quest. Only this time I haven't started without you, or fried anything yet! I don't know if it is possible, but I suspect it is. I want to alter a metal detector. My wife is hearing impaired, but I want her to enjoy this hobby to the fullest. Unfortunately, the audio signal IS the best target indicator on any detector made. Good earphones allows a user to pick up faint, deep signals that visual indicators miss. I want to "intercept" the audio signal before it gets to the external speaker and convert the signal to power a vibration motor of some sort. Instead of hearing a tone that increases pitch as the detector coil gets closer to a target, you would have a silent vibration that is able to grow in intensity or increase cycles or oscillations per second. This vibration or oscillation device would be in the form of a Velcro clamp, ring or patch that attaches to say a finger, earlobe or arm. The finger tip would be able to pick up tiny fluctuations of pressure, thus requiring very little electro motive force and perhaps amplification of the original signal would be minimal. The other indicator signal would be what causes the needle to move on the old analog meter: which signal would be more appropriate for what I want to do? I would also like to have a LED indicator that increases in brightness or a bank of LEDS that would indicate the proximity of a target to the detector coil. Apologies for the length of this post. Finally, underwater detectors employ vibration and LEDS, so I know it is possible. But is it possible to start at the 2 wire leads for the speaker and also the leads to the meter? Then of course a unit that simply plugs into the headphone jack that would vibrate a wrist band; that would be hugely marketable, depending on the sensitivity and compactness of the circuitry design. For now, I just want to build a retro hack detector that vibrates instead of beeps. Any insight, input or simplification would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again, plumber

Hi everybody! I am on to my next quest. Only this time I haven't started without you, or fried anything yet.

Thanks anyway. Treasure Products in CA. makes a retro device that in fact plugs right into the headphone jack of the metal detector. Even has pulse width adjustment to match vibrations with the audio signal for a very accurate interpretation. At 79.00...the "vibra phone" Is the way I must go...undoubtably, waiting for the ups truck will be a whole lot less fun than frustrating this forum with my stupid questions. plumber

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back