Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

McDonalds ...finally na use for 'em

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkim100

Banned
I wish that I could find the original article, and provide a link to it, but I read in last nights paper, that in Germany, Mcdonalds outlets will be outfitted so that people can recharge Electric Vehicles there.
Pretty good idea,,,since that will provide a easily accessible, pre-made outlets practically on every corner... which one of the problems that haunt any Alternate Energy transport...placing as many recharging stations out there, as there are Gas stations. Sorry, I dont know the specifics, like what specific type or brand of vehicles you can recharge there.
Plus...you can pick up a Apple Pie while you wait....everyone wins...except the "Men In Black" that are holding back alternate energy for the Gas Industry:D
Here in Canada, if they placed Recharging Stations at every Tim Hortons...you wouldnt need a range of more than a 1/4Km...since thats about the average distance between each store. (sorry you gotta be Canadian to understand that reference).:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I like Tim Hortons, and that chicken place, what's the name of that one?

Are U Thinking Of Swiss Chalet?????

Next time Im in the States ....its Cracker Barrel for me all the way!....love that place....good 'ol home cookin!...and fun to boot!

Swiss Chalet!

I wonder if those charging stations have the charger built in, or if it's just providing mains voltage? The charger would seem to make more sense, that way you could adjust the wattage per car based on availability, and the vehicle wouldn't have to carry the weight of the charger.

Downside would seem to be cost and liability.

The downside (or should that be upsize) would be your waistline. Imagine sitting there for an hour (or two) whilst your car charged.

Mike.

A Tesla roadster takes about 3.5 hours for a complete charge (which is amazingly fast) and pulls almost 17kw while it's doing it. At ten cents a kwh, that's about $6. They claim 244 miles off that charge.

Last edited:
Where I live we already have outlets all over parking lots.. Without them cars don't like to start in winter.. They usually cycle on/off for a few minutes to prevent abuse..

Where I live we already have outlets all over parking lots.. Without them cars don't like to start in winter.. They usually cycle on/off for a few minutes to prevent abuse..

Geez. Where you at......... north pole ?:p

That's bad. Utah has some pretty bad winter's but not that bad.:eek:

kv:D

Last edited:
I had an electric car for about ten years. it was great for running around the farm but at 30 to 40 miles a charge it was not practical to run to town 14 miles each way. hills in both directions. Plus hilly town thats spread out too. I sold it to my mom in iowa. She loves it!

Are you thinkin' Swiss Chalet, KFC or Mrs. Brown's Chubby Chicken ( only in Canada, pity!)?

Some of the fast food franchises already have electric outlets onsite. Trouble is, they are controlled from inside the kitchen or stock room. Most outlets are not GFCI's, so these power stations aren't always on for a battery charger or worklight. Solar recharging seems to be the best remedy in this case.

Last edited:
Until recently I was up there about twice a year on business, and we stopped at some chicken place that had really good roast chicken, had some french name, seemed to be a franchise. Also envious of your electronics shops - we used to have Active Electronics over here, but not no more now, and there was a terrific surplus place we stopped at in Ontario.

Also, head shops. I really miss head shops.

The electric outlets at McDonalds are not for charging electric cars.
They are for their machines that clean up after their customers get sick.
Their "food" burns like fuel.

I went to Harvey's (a competitor to McDonalds) a few days ago because my kids gave my wife and I a coupon.
My meal was 1210 calories like a gallon of gasoline. It costed more. It was mostly fat. A small part was protein and vitamins. I didn't get sick but my wife did.
(It was delicious!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back