Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Marine AIS decoding

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpep

Hi folks,

Has anybody ever done the above? I can get at the discriminator tap, of a suitable radio, to obtain the audio. I am wondering if anyone has firmware to program either a PIC or AVR to decode into NMEA-HS (38,400 baud).

Thanks,
MPep

Last edited:
NMEA Data Format

MPep

I'm not sure if this will help but all the NMEA data seems to be in this format NMEA. So I assume if you use any controller with a USART on board this would receive the data, which you could then decode as required. There is also a lot of code examples available on the web - what language are you hoping to use?

Hi Gascode,

The raw audio is GMSK encoded. What I am looking for is a way to decode this into NMEA-HS.
I understand NMEA alright, not the decoding required to get to the NMEA strings.

I am not interested in decoding the NMEA !AI sentences directly. There is plenty of freeware that can do this already. eg NMEA monitor.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. There is also freeware that can use the sound-card of a PC to encode to NMEA, which NavMon can then use. Cannot remember the name at the moment though.

What I would like to do is to do the sound-card to NMEA decoding.

Fair call, why not indeed.
My basic requirement is for an unmanned receiving station, therefore, preferably, no computer involved.

For me, the radio receiver is easy, and getting the NMEA to a website is also easy. Getting the audio to NMEA is NOT easy (at least for me).

I am merely wondering if indeed anyone had already done this. And would they be willing to share the code??

Shipplotter I already now off. And I am certainly impressed by it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back