Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Marine controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lighty

Hi all

I'm wanting to build a Marine Aquarium controller for my marine tank, as this is not going to be easy for me, please can we take it step-by-step.

I would like the unit to be quiet sophisticated so it can do all I could ever need with some flexability....

What I would like to achieve is the following :eek:

1> 2 Temperature sensors (0.1 Deg C Res) with 4 outputs, each output can be selected for Sensor 1 or 2, selectable activation for above or below setpoint with adjustable hysteresis.

2> 2 pH inputs (0.1pH Res) with adjustable setpoints and hyteresis. (I have a circuit that can supply a referance voltage with calibration for the pH)

3> 4 adjustable timer outputs. (RTC with battery bachup)

4> PMW output to drive LED "Moonlight" on a 29 day simulated cycle (Could get the code from a friend for the simulation)

5> LCD Screen (4 line would be awesome showing all info), with a seperate 7 Segment Display for temp display so it can be read easily in the dark.

6> Display the max and min temp on sensor 1 for the last 24 hrs

7> Downloadable Log for a couple days to a PC of the Temp sensors and pH inputs

8> "Feed button" which will turn OFF all the pumps (connected via a relay) for a selectable time period.

9> Buzzer for alarms, temp too high/low, pH too high/low

This is going to be my dream project, and I would like to thank up front all those that take the time to help me :)

I would say the first thing we need to do is select a PIC chip.

We require

4 analog inputs (2 temp and 2 pH, although I think the temp could be done via digital?)
6 digital outputs (temp control, feed output and buzzer)
1 PMW output
PC connection port?
LCD connection Port?
3 7seg display Port?
control/keypad Port?
RTC connection?

Thanks

hi Lighty,
Thats a fairly major project, but interesting.:)

I would consider using a low cost laptop as the controller, not a PIC.

Interface the external sensor/driver unit interface, using the laptops USB/Parallel ports.

Using a laptop would solve the data storage, display and control keys requirement also the program for the project would reside in the laptop.

Using Visual Basic for the programming would IMO simplify the project.

Hi,

All that you want to do can be readily done, but its not going to be a 5 minute project - you might want to consider building something a little less ambitious while your new design develops.
This would also give you a bench mark to test your new design against - you don't want to rely on an unproven design on your expensive marine stock !

There are several such designs on the web already including mine which has been built in good numbers with good reports , plans attached, if you want all the details including ph control then please PM me with an email address.

You do not say if you are programming in C or Assembler - but for either the 18F4620 would be a good starting place with its large memory and pin count while still in DIP form.

hth

Attachments

• Manual072.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 557
Thanks for your input Ericgibbs, very good advise, But I would really like to build a "Stand alone" unit, not having to rely on a PC, and I'm hoping this could be a "learning session" for me.

Perhaps a 18F4220 or 18F4520 ?

Thanks Richard.c

Thats awesome! yip that what I want but with the added functions of the pH inputs and a couple more ouputs/outputs.

I can't grasp Assembler, so been playing around with GCBasic.....

Hi,

Hi Richard
i would like to obtain the source codes for the pic micro controllers regarding the
DIY Temperature Multi Controller
January 2006

or can i download it from a site....
thks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Richard
i would like to obtain the source codes for the pic micro controllers regarding the
DIY Temperature Multi Controller
January 2006

Im afraid you may be out of luck, Richard hasn't been here since June 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back