Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Luminated switch for prop replica

DaveLadkin

Hi there,
I have to wire up x3 5 pin illuminated push buttons for a prop replica, and just need a little guidance on powering just the light in the switch. The switches will have to function other than to be lit up.

These are 12v switches. Do I need a 12v battery per switch, or is there a minimum voltage battery I can use to power just the light?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230709_141109.jpg
    Screenshot_20230709_141109.jpg
    761.8 KB · Views: 129
9V may work, it depends on the type & arrangement of illumination in the switch.
A lower voltage (less than 12V will not do any harm, to experiment.
I'd have the power going to first switch, and then first to second and then second to third (- to -, and + to +). Its been a very long time since I've done any electronics work.

Thank you all very much for the advice! I got it working although I'm not sure a 9v battery is enough as the lights seem quite dim.
The block is just until the switches are in place in the prop. Is the block the issue, or do I need to add more power?

My intention is to seal the small compartment this will all be contained in so I was going to add usb chargeable batteries with a "hidden" usb plug incorporated into a side of the compartment casing. Good idea?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230802-192330_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230802-192330_Gallery.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 108
The picture is was taken in a dim room, but yes they need to be a bit brighter. As these are 12v switches, I'm assuming that I would need to give the full voltage. Does that sound right?

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back