Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LT energy harvesting board

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
I had a LT energy harvesting board, i thought i still had but apparently not, distant memory think it suffered from a leaking housing on a project i did, but i cant remember.

Anyway i had a look to see how much they are, The board i had according to the site isnt made anymore, but it seems farnell have 5 left and selling them at a fraction of the normal cost. Trouble is the farnel site is down. They have them for £54 which from memory is really really cheap. Now i cant find the board number for it and the site is down, i went looking on LT site and it threw up what i thought was the board i had, but this one is still in production!

So maybe its the replacement for the one i had, i wouldnt buy the newer one as to me they are too much money for what they are, dont get me wrong they are great boards. But the older dev board was plenty good enough for what i want.

The other board i still have and thats the wurth energy harvesting kit, This is the board i will be using to power the main brains of the system. It uses Sil labs Giant Gecko Cortex M3 stk dev kit, but can power any of the stk boards as the headers are all the same. The GG from sil labs is some kit!!

Anyway the board i think replaces the LT one is this one (datasheet)
https://www.analog.com/media/en/dsp-documentation/evaluation-kit-manuals/DC2042AF.PDF

The wurth kit is this one
https://www.we-online.com/web/en/el...rvesting/solution_to_go/energy_harvesting.php

Not it dosnt come with the piezo kit, i contacted the company (pi) to see about getting the kit, but two strips of there super duper peizo stuff work out at £341+ VAT!!!

I was astonished, this was a while back when i was at school. I ended up emailing the MD and did a deal with them, i used the kit for a schools competition and they agreed to sponsor me with a piezo kit, i had to wear a T shirt with there name and have a banner up when the newspaper took pics of the competition. The comp was a good while back now, i am sure i posted about it a couple of years ago. It was open to all UK schools and from memory 681 took part in teams of 4 students each.

In y school apathy was the norm, i had to bug my technology teacher for weeks to even enter us, then no one else in the school was interested in taking part :(, so i had to literally bribe/coerce (do unethical things) to get three others to put there names up. I did all the work and only one eve bothered to turn up for the prize ceremony at the end, despite all this i managed to come 3rd!! out of 681 schools and 772 teams.

Anyway i still have the piezo kit :D, it really kicks out some power and if it was cheap enough, it could easily be used in say shoes to charge a mobile phone, with suitable energy harvesting tech obviously.

Giant Gecko board with the wurth kit is this one (user manual) They are truly ultra low power to use, and extremely powerful, i got a few of these in sponsorship from sil labs, amazing dev kits and really cheap.

https://www.silabs.com/documents/public/user-guides/efm32gg-stk3700-ug.pdf

I will post the data sheets for some of the bits when i decide which way to go, I am also using some of the light sensors from sil labs (because i have them) and there humidity and temp sensors.

I will post details of the other bits as i get them.

I have moved this over to the MS projects site, makes it easier to put in one chunk then post it up here maybe (if it works).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back