Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

About energy efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fascinating- keep us posted on the progress with that one.:)

I will. Right now the engine is still at a buddy's place. He picked it up a number of years ago as a power unit for a refrigerated semi trailer for some daft plan to air condition /refrigerate his shop or make a outdoor meat locker for the once in a decade times he or one of his family or neighbors needs to butcher a deer or some large animal and cool it in a hurry (some how figured a expensive loud comparatively inefficient diesel powered refrigeration system was better than buying a good used wall mount AC unit or purpose built commercial walk in freezer chiller unit) that he put near zero rational thought into.

The engine has about 1500 - 1800 hours on it but online sources say those engines often ran to 40 - 50,000+ without problems only to be replaced at that point because most often the semi trailers and or refrigeration units they were a part of as a whole fell apart around them to the point of not being road worthy any longer. :cool:

Thanks for the update TCM ... Nice outline of the whole process.

Yea unfortunately I have an issue with the new boiler already.

I took it out of service about 4 days ago to redo the water lines to the house and epoxy the shed floor only to find that the Rustoleum primer paint I lined the inside with dissolved when exposed to antifreeze so now the thing is line with a layer of orange goo.

Its been in service for aobut 2 months now yet when I drained it the antifreeze and water solution came out looking like orange mud like something that would be found in a tractor engine that hasn't had a coolant change in 40 years.

Apparently since I did my last boiler build a few years ago Rustoleum changed their primer formula ('environmentally friendly' reformulation BS I suspect) and now it's obviously not compatible with antifreeze (or tap water?) any more. :mad:

The only proper fix will be to cut it apart and strip it and redo it with two part commercial epoxy. :(

Yea unfortunately I have an issue with the new boiler already.

I took it out of service about 4 days ago to redo the water lines to the house and epoxy the shed floor only to find that the Rustoleum primer paint I lined the inside with dissolved when exposed to antifreeze so now the thing is line with a layer of orange goo.

Its been in service for aobut 2 months now yet when I drained it the antifreeze and water solution came out looking like orange mud like something that would be found in a tractor engine that hasn't had a coolant change in 40 years.

Apparently since I did my last boiler build a few years ago Rustoleum changed their primer formula ('environmentally friendly' reformulation BS I suspect) and now it's obviously not compatible with antifreeze (or tap water?) any more. :mad:

The only proper fix will be to cut it apart and strip it and redo it with two part commercial epoxy. :(
You know nature is perverse- you build an over unity generator only the find that the ball bearings on the main shaft are faulty and the whole thing ceases up. Or there is an earthquake. Or someone invents a nuclear battery that costs peanuts and produces a 100V at whatever current you want, forever.

spec

The only proper fix will be to cut it apart and strip it and redo it with two part commercial epoxy.
Rustlok Steel Primer 6980 is great stuff. It stops rust in its tracks. I use it on boats in salt water all the time. I put it on a pool pump timer box that had holes rusted through it. 15 years later it looks the same.
Put 2 coats right over rust. Just knock the chunks off & loose rust. It looks like aluminum paint.
**broken link removed**

Moisture and Corrosion Proof Primer
· Exceptional adhesion to all ferrous metals also including steel, cast iron, galvanized and stainless steel

· Wets, seals and adheres to firmly attached rust

· Dries rapidly allowing multiple coats in one day

· May be applied at temperatures down to 10°F

Rustlok Steel Primer 6980 is an easy to apply, moisture and corrosion proof primer for use on all cast iron and steel surfaces, including galvanized, stainless. Its water impervious barrier offers excellent adhesion and corrosion protection even over rusted surfaces. Recommended anytime an easy to apply, anti-corrosive barrier coat is desired.

**broken link removed**

I may have to give it a try! :cool:

Or someone invents a nuclear battery that costs peanuts and produces a 100V at whatever current you want, forever.

spec
You would never get it passed an airport ;), how many peanuts to the pound at the moment ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back