Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LPT1 attachment

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyle

Hi Guy's,

Can anyone out there help me with this? I will try to be as explicit as possible

I have this peripheral that connects to the PARALLEL PORT. It is controlled by a qbasic program.

The QB program monitors 8 inputs on this device and gives the expected response when a digital 0 test signal is applied to any one of the 8 inputs.

So the device works great, NOW, here comes my question!

Does anyone know of a circuit that can receive a signal from a wireless motion detector (or similar device) that will (when activated) cause a digital 0 to be applied to one of the inputs, thus triggering the PC to give it's heads up warning for that zone?

I just don't have the expertise to solve this one on my own, so any suggestions of how this might be done will be received greatfully.

Lyle

A digital 0 (logic LOW) is simply pulling the pin to ground; if your motion detector or other device can activate a relay, that relay could be connected so that it grounds the pin (switches the pin from 5V - HIGH to 0V/gnd LOW - by connecting the pin from a 5V pin on the parallel port to a ground pin on the port). That would be the "dead simple" way to do it. You could also switch the line to ground using a transistor (PNP, IIRC)...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back