Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I2C temp sensor attachment error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Hi all:
I have a requirement to attach 3 ganged temp. sensors as supplied by the TMP432 device to operate over 0°C to 55°C.
**broken link removed**

The challenge is to integrate a method that informs [the uC reading the temperature] when a sensor is not physically attached to the flat surface being sensed.

My initial thought is to include a contact switch on the sensor PCB that opens when the sensor PCB is pressed onto the flat surface being monitored. When any of the 3 switches are closed they 'short' a schottky diode across one of the TMP432 remote, silicon PN temp. junction. This forces a very high temperature reading, triggering a local sensor PCB alarm (LED) and allowing the uC to detect a mounting problem.

Sounds reasonable?

Switches may be unreliable if not hermetically sealed or gold plated.

Another method is an SMD resistor and pulse it to detect a 5degC temp rise every minute which should not occur if properly sinked to mass with a fault asserted somehow.

Toshiba once used a heater R and thermistor to detect fan fail.

Switches may be unreliable if not hermetically sealed or gold plated.

Another method is an SMD resistor and pulse it to detect a 5degC temp rise every minute which should not occur if properly sinked to mass with a fault asserted somehow.

That's interesting. I guess I could run a series of 3 SMD resistors to heat the 3 sensor PCBs . That will require some calibration though, to assess temp rise with and without mass attachment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back