Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for substitutions in Digikey

Status
Not open for further replies.

electrocub

I am a novice in electronics and found a circuit that I would like to build. It is a gel cell battery charger with an input of 15 volts ac with an output of 13.4 volts 4A. I would like to use Digikey for one stop shopping to get all the components for the charger, but cannot find the exact part numbers in the Digikey catalog for two of the components. I have no experience with triacs or scrs and want to make sure I am getting the correct part.
The first part is a BT136 triac. Looking at a datasheet I found on the internet, the three important values (as far as I know) are voltage (600v) ,(amperage 4A in state, 25 repetitive state) and package (to220ab). If I look in the Digikey catalog for triacs and find one with the same or higher values in the same package even though it doesn't have the same name, can I use it?
The second component is BRS49 scr. It has a rating of 400 volts,rms output of 0.8 with a average instate repetitive amperage of 0.5a in a to92 case. Again, looking at the Digikey catalog, if I find one with the same or higher values, can I use it?
One more question, I am looking for roll of flexible two wire cable that I can make custom meter leads with. I assume that the standard gauge of wire for multimeters (and jumpers as well) is between 18 to 22 gauge wire. Does anyone have source for this kind of wire that is as flexible as the leads for a multimeter or jumper calbes that are around 10 to 15 feet long? Thanks in advance.

Carroll

I am a novice in electronics and found a circuit that I would like to build. It is a gel cell battery charger with an input of 15 volts ac with an output of 13.4 volts 4A. I would like to use Digikey for one stop shopping to get all the components for the charger, but cannot find the exact part numbers in the Digikey catalog for two of the components. I have no experience with triacs or scrs and want to make sure I am getting the correct part.
The first part is a BT136 triac. Looking at a datasheet I found on the internet, the three important values (as far as I know) are voltage (600v) ,(amperage 4A in state, 25 repetitive state) and package (to220ab). If I look in the Digikey catalog for triacs and find one with the same or higher values in the same package even though it doesn't have the same name, can I use it?
The second component is BRS49 scr. It has a rating of 400 volts,rms output of 0.8 with a average instate repetitive amperage of 0.5a in a to92 case. Again, looking at the Digikey catalog, if I find one with the same or higher values, can I use it?
One more question, I am looking for roll of flexible two wire cable that I can make custom meter leads with. I assume that the standard gauge of wire for multimeters (and jumpers as well) is between 18 to 22 gauge wire. Does anyone have source for this kind of wire that is as flexible as the leads for a multimeter or jumper calbes that are around 10 to 15 feet long? Thanks in advance.

Carroll
this link might help you for BT136.
Digi-Key Part Search

for SCR, you may select 2 amps version for .8amp needs as safety margin is better

regarding cables, perhaps domestic wiring cables in multi-strand might work better for large lengths. the flexible wires used by automobile industry might also serve you. These are sold in many colors.

Last edited:
Most good multimeter leads use a silicon type insulation. Just do a general search for that and you should come up with loads of sizes colors and flexibility ratings.
When cross referencing semiconductors brand does not matter if the part numbers match. And as mentioned before over sizing is Okay in most applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back