Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for amplifier ic

Status
Not open for further replies.

S-fr

Im building an amplifier for home use (4 channel) , so which class ic should i pick? If you know any ic, do let me know and no 4 channel ic like 7388, this ic is good but im looking for 80w per channel on 6ohm load

Im building an amplifier for home use (4 channel)
Use two stereo ICs or four single-channel ones.

These look like a possibility:
There are schematics and PCB layouts in the data sheet:

If I were building one for serious listening, I'd use a Class AB amp such as that or discrete components, not a Class D one.

The Class D types are great for background music etc., but are generally not high quality - eg. that TDA7293 IC above is rated maximum 0.1% distortion at 50W.

The TDA7498 Class D 100W IC is also rated 0.1% - at just 1W and 10% by the time it reaches 80W...
(And many of the Class D IC are surface mount so difficult to use or heatsink, other than buying ready-built modules).

There are circuit boards to take the TDA7293 available cheaply on ebay, as well as ready built modules - but I'd not trust the AC input ones & I'd also rather be able to choose my own components so I know the quality..

Get the ICs from a reputable electronics supplier rather than ebay.

You will need large! heatsinks and a well rated and well-smoothed power supply. Class AB amps are only around 50 - 60% efficient, so the heat dissipation will be near equal to the power to the speakers, and the load on the PSU the sub of both.

Use two stereo ICs or four single-channel ones.

These look like a possibility:
There are schematics and PCB layouts in the data sheet:

If I were building one for serious listening, I'd use a Class AB amp such as that or discrete components, not a Class D one.

The Class D types are great for background music etc., but are generally not high quality - eg. that TDA7293 IC above is rated maximum 0.1% distortion at 50W.

The TDA7498 Class D 100W IC is also rated 0.1% - at just 1W and 10% by the time it reaches 80W...
(And many of the Class D IC are surface mount so difficult to use or heatsink, other than buying ready-built modules).

There are circuit boards to take the TDA7293 available cheaply on ebay, as well as ready built modules - but I'd not trust the AC input ones & I'd also rather be able to choose my own components so I know the quality..

Get the ICs from a reputable electronics supplier rather than ebay.

You will need large! heatsinks and a well rated and well-smoothed power supply. Class AB amps are only around 50 - 60% efficient, so the heat dissipation will be near equal to the power to the speakers, and the load on the PSU the sub of both.

I was searching around an ic and i found 2sc5200/2sa1943 ic, are they good enough? Also these are less costly. (Btw are these class ab?)

I was searching around an ic and i found 2sc5200/2sa1943 ic, are they good enough?
Those are not integrated circuits, they are discrete power transistors such as could be used as the final stage of a power amplifier.

I've just found an example of an amp using those; see the large three-lead devices:

You would need four boards / kits for a four-channel amp (plus heatsinks and power supply etc).

Following on from that:
If your aim is to build your own project, amps are are not a bad choice - but for high power setups like these you must be very careful with power supplies, smoothing, heatsinking, heavy enough connections and proper grounding etc.

Or, if you just want a seriously good, cheap amp for home use, look on ebay etc. for a secondhand Sony STR-DA2400ES.
Those sell for ridiculously low prices and support anything up to seven channels at 100W each; plus multiple inputs, surround sound decoding and a lot of other stuff.

eg.

How about getting 4 class D amplifier boards from AliExpress ( or a single 4 channels, or 2 two channels, you get the idea) Price and sound quality is surprisingly good. You can then focus on the interesting bit, which is dealing with sources. Unless you really want to be doing the audio power amp circuitry, then I can't help much, not my field, sorry.

ZBuilding an amplifier is not a problem. If you want good quality sound, take some proven design on a pair of transistors 2SC5200 and 2SA1943. They are very efficient, with a good application they have great sound

O wIt will be much more challenging to build a power supply with adequate performance for this amplifier. For these 4 channels of 80-100 Watt, you need a 600 Watt power supply with a symmetrical voltage of +/- 50V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back