Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a sheet that resists

Status
Not open for further replies.
If alternating current is produced by electrons moving in one direction and then another, why is it that there movement just happens to be sinusoidal?
*sigh* Look at a pendelum swing. Does it have exactly zero speed at the endpoints when it reverses direction? and the a completely constant speed throughout it's swing? Same thing. DO some reading on simple harmonic motion and oscillation.

Can a wave have a length up to three feet?
Yes, please do some reading and thinking. ANY reading and thinking before you ask these kinds of questions and you'll quickly find radio waves can be kilometers in wavelength down to nanometers and more.

What would be the result of connecting a wire that had a length of some integer value times a wavelength to two points on a conducting cylinder, sheet, and sphere - having point and concentric circular sources of AC with the same wavelength, be in terms of wave patterns if the connections were not made a wavelength apart?

Like has been mentioned before, a majority of the current would take the shortest path between the two points with decreasing current density as you travelled farther away from the path. The fact that the current is no longer DC does not change this. The absolute magnitudes will change, but not the relative current density gradient.

You get reflections and interference and the like if they are not integer wavelengths. Other things will cause reflections too.

Fundamental problem still exists- you can't find the position of more than one piece. Stop skirting the problem.

Last edited:
More resistance = more power dissipated = more heat.

Your original wording is vague in a sense. If you have a fixed voltage source powering a resistisve load, and you decrease the resistance by a factor then the current will increase by that factor. But power dissipated is P = R*I^2. THe result is that I^2 increases faster than R decreases so you get more heating in this case.

If this is correct, why is it that electrons travelling closer to a nucleous generate more heat? Are there potentially multiple conductive bands, and does each one or only the outer one contribute to conductivity?

What is the bandgap energy? Are there any natural or artificial occurances of gas molecules lining up in such a way as to make them as conductive as some metals.

I *JUST* explained a second time what the bandgap energy is.

Your question is some irrelevent. You can make gasses out of any metal. And the distance between the molecules is too great that the empty space would end up dominating the resistance over the atom's conductivity.

If this is correct, why is it that electrons travelling closer to a nucleous generate more heat?

WHere is this coming from? This has absolutely no connection to anything I just said about the I^2*R law.

Are there potentially multiple conductive bands, and does each one or only the outer one contribute to conductivity?

You are getting confused, It is not the conduction band itself that contributes to conductivity, but how easily electrons can move back and forth between the conduction and valence band.

The conduction band is a BAND/group of energy levels energetic enough that the electrons can flow to allow conduction to occur. These energy levels are very close together in the band that they are basically infinite in number. There is only one conduction band though it might contain and infinite number of infintesmally spaced energy levels.

You are still ignoring the issue with your gameboard. It doesn't matter how fancy the signal you send through the gameboard is, you can't differentiate between multiple pieces on the other end. You are lacking the necessary degrees of freedom in your gameboard which can only be changed with smart gaming pieces or more sections on your board.

Last edited:
What is it about electrons that make their movement representable by a sine wave? Is it just a coincidence that pendulums can also be represented in this way? Or are the two caused by something in common?

Yes, please do some reading and thinking. ANY reading and thinking before you ask these kinds of questions and you'll quickly find radio waves can be kilometers in wavelength down to nanometers and more.

I was talking about AC waves without distortion. This doesn't seem like a common topic, and least not in any sources that I'm familiar with, so I'm going to ask it again. I didn't specify AC in my question.

WHere is this coming from? This has absolutely no connection to anything I just said about the I^2*R law.

I thought that there was a relationship between resistance and the distance of electrons from a nucleus.

Last edited:
You are getting confused, It is not the conduction band itself that contributes to conductivity, but how easily electrons can move back and forth between the conduction and valence band.

The conduction band is a BAND/group of energy levels energetic enough that the electrons can flow to allow conduction to occur. These energy levels are very close together in the band that they are basically infinite in number. There is only one conduction band though it might contain and infinite number of infintesmally spaced energy levels.

You are still ignoring the issue with your gameboard. It doesn't matter how fancy the signal you send through the gameboard is, you can't differentiate between multiple pieces on the other end. You are lacking the necessary degrees of freedom in your gameboard which can only be changed with smart gaming pieces or more sections on your board.

That is possible. I seem to remember learning something about some elements having many different orbitals that are stable in multiples that had something to do with eight - perhaps the number of electrons. I was wondering if there might be multiple conductive bands that are active or not active according to similar multiples.

Desparate Games

I'm sensing some desparation in, Jasonbe's "ramping up" of posts. He's still being very careful not to reveal anything about his education or background, as it relates to technology (and specifically electricity/electronics) or allowing himself to be "boxed in" by letting on that he's understanding anything that's beng told to him. The game he's playing is sort of akin (in both scope and usefulness) to a couple of kids exchanging, "Am not's" and "Are, too's".

So long as someone is making even a token effort to understand something, I think most of us here will at least make the effort to oblige. But, there's not much sense in feeding the hunger for attention that, Jasonbe is exhibiting with his deliberate and obvious skirting of his own questions.

Jasonbe is not trying to invent a game...he's already playing it. He may even think of it as a "new" game but, I hope he's smart enough to realize that it's really a dirt-common game for no-life types to play in forums. Seen it plenty of times.

It was amusing for awhile but, Jasonbe's gaming is getting tedious and boring so, I'll leave it to the rest of you good folks to entertain him as you see fit.

Oh, yeah...here's a hint. His next move will be to "invent" a new identity to try to draw you into a new spate of posts.

Last edited:
What is it about electrons that make their movement representable by a sine wave? Is it just a coincidence that pendulums can also be represented in this way? Or are the two caused by something in common?

No it's not a coincidence. Nothing nothing accelerates or decelerates instantly which is what a square wave is. Use some common sense. If you don't understand oscillation or vibration, too bad.

I was talking about AC waves without distortion. This doesn't seem like a common topic, and least not in any sources that I'm familiar with, so I'm going to ask it again. I didn't specify AC in my question.

Waves can be as long or as short as you want them. If you're asking this you are either trolling or you never took high school physics (and no, it doesn't matter if it was a long time ago and you forgot it all because there's nothing to remember). If you knew ANYTHING about light or any waves you would know this intuitively.

I'm not going to be answering any more trivial questions. Wiki around and think about what you read. These last two questions you asked were the kinds of questions I got from Grade 4 students when doing demos in their classroom.

Last edited:
I found your resistive sheet material. Its commonly called shim stock. Its a very thin sheet of metal that is normally used for precision shimming adjustments for machining or manufacturing purposes.

However one variety is a chromium nickel alloy that is the same material heating elements and large resistors are made of. that means it has a linear resistance to it.
Put 12 volts down one side of the sheet with the common (zero volts reference) down the other side and you will have sheet resistor with a linear voltage drop across it exactly proportional to the distance.
It comes in thicknesses all the way down to .0005 inches or about 1/10 the thickness of heavy good quality computer paper.
Standard size is 12 inches by 50 inches or 100 inches but custom sized sheets can be ordered from the manufacture also.

MSCdirect.com carries the 12 inch stuff. general search 'Shim stock'. Take your pick of type thickness and size. And its cheap too!

So there you go, a sheet that resists with linear resistance values in both X and Y axis that can give a voltage referance that can be measured with a cheap multimeter! Go nuts! :)

Even a broken clock is right twice a day

I found your resistive sheet material. Its commonly called shim stock. Its a very thin sheet of metal that is normally used for precision shimming adjustments for machining or manufacturing purposes.
I might be so bold as to opine here that, in spite of, Jasonbe's rather pathetic attempt at his childish game and, as I had noted much earlier, that the thread topic and some of the directions it has gone are not uninteresting. In fact, I have found some useful stuff in it.

Even, Jasonbe's efforts provided some comic relief for awhile and, gave me a chance to do some further analysis of what I refer to as, "disrupters" and "chat forum spoilers". But, he just doesn't have the smarts or cleverness to be able to continue to amuse me.

So whether, Jasonbe (or whatever ID he may choose to use) continues to post his nonsense here or not, is pretty much moot. His posts are pretty easy to spot and ignore...or read and sadly smile at...as one sees fit.

I did check out the website referenced by, tcmtech and found a lot of shim stock (which I am always interested in a good source for) and there were lots of materials but, not the one recommended. Even when I refined the search, the list only showed the common metals (steel, brass, nickel, stainless, etc.).

Last edited:
The stainless steel is the chromium nickel alloy stuff. I didn't check on line but in my MSC Master catalog it lists it as chromium nickel. Sorry if theres a discrepancy from book to web site.
I am a book man myself. I never cared for the web site searching. To much information seems to be missing or linked to some data sheet I cant always find.
Either way chromium nickel stainless steel has a high natural resistance and makes a good low to medium temp resistance material.

I'm sensing some desparation in, Jasonbe's "ramping up" of posts. He's still being very careful not to reveal anything about his education or background, as it relates to technology (and specifically electricity/electronics) or allowing himself to be "boxed in" by letting on that he's understanding anything that's beng told to him. The game he's playing is sort of akin (in both scope and usefulness) to a couple of kids exchanging, "Am not's" and "Are, too's".

So long as someone is making even a token effort to understand something, I think most of us here will at least make the effort to oblige. But, there's not much sense in feeding the hunger for attention that, Jasonbe is exhibiting with his deliberate and obvious skirting of his own questions.

Jasonbe is not trying to invent a game...he's already playing it. He may even think of it as a "new" game but, I hope he's smart enough to realize that it's really a dirt-common game for no-life types to play in forums. Seen it plenty of times.

It was amusing for awhile but, Jasonbe's gaming is getting tedious and boring so, I'll leave it to the rest of you good folks to entertain him as you see fit.

Oh, yeah...here's a hint. His next move will be to "invent" a new identity to try to draw you into a new spate of posts.

I didn't know that there was a limit to how many posts a person could make, and I don't know what causes you to sense what you sense. I wasn't aware that revealing anything about my education or background was a requirement related to this site. In general, if someone is not understanding something I think that it would be beneficial for this site to point out what - instead of making generalization that seem to me to be unfounded. Please quote anything that I said that would suggest the exchange game that you mentioned. Please explain what lead you to believe that I am not attempting to understand anything. What is it about my posts that makes you think that they are a hunger for attention? Where did I skirt a question? How can anyone participate in this site without being accused of playing the game you described? I am not asking you to change your opinion but justify why anyone else should think the same. Is it possible that some of what you said was as inaccurate as your prediction of my next move?

Last edited:

I might be so bold as to opine here that, in spite of, Jasonbe's rather pathetic attempt at his childish game and, as I had noted much earlier, that the thread topic and some of the directions it has gone are not uninteresting. In fact, I have found some useful stuff in it.

Even, Jasonbe's efforts provided some comic relief for awhile and, gave me a chance to do some further analysis of what I refer to as, "disrupters" and "chat forum spoilers". But, he just doesn't have the smarts or cleverness to be able to continue to amuse me.

So whether, Jasonbe (or whatever ID he may choose to use) continues to post his nonsense here or not, is pretty much moot. His posts are pretty easy to spot and ignore...or read and sadly smile at...as one sees fit.

I did check out the website referenced by, tcmtech and found a lot of shim stock (which I am always interested in a good source for) and there were lots of materials but, not the one recommended. Even when I refined the search, the list only showed the common metals (steel, brass, nickel, stainless, etc.).

Thank you for making your comment that seemed to me to imply that viewing and responding to posts was optional. What makes you think that my game is childish?

Last edited:
The stainless steel is the chromium nickel alloy stuff. I didn't check on line but in my MSC Master catalog it lists it as chromium nickel. Sorry if theres a discrepancy from book to web site.
I am a book man myself. I never cared for the web site searching. To much information seems to be missing or linked to some data sheet I cant always find.
Either way chromium nickel stainless steel has a high natural resistance and makes a good low to medium temp resistance material.

How were you able to narrow the type down to stainless steel?

Like has been mentioned before, a majority of the current would take the shortest path between the two points with decreasing current density as you travelled farther away from the path. The fact that the current is no longer DC does not change this. The absolute magnitudes will change, but not the relative current density gradient.

You get reflections and interference and the like if they are not integer wavelengths. Other things will cause reflections too.

Fundamental problem still exists- you can't find the position of more than one piece. Stop skirting the problem.

I'd still like to see a model of what the resulting wave pattern might look like. This design does not have to be used for the game:

What would be the result of connecting a wire that had a length of some integer value times a wavelength to two points on a conducting cylinder, sheet, and sphere - having point and concentric circular sources of AC with the same wavelength, be in terms of wave patterns if the connections were not made a wavelength apart?

Last edited:
Are the sinusoidal characteristics of AC created at the generator, modified after the generator by a machine, a result of electron repulsion in wires, or something else? Could altering any of these change the sinusoidal characteristics?

Last edited:
Hey, I truly hope you'll wow us.

I didn't know that there was a limit to how many posts a person could make, and I don't know what causes you to sense what you sense. I wasn't aware that revealing anything about my education or background was a requirement related to this site. In general, if someone is not understanding something I think that it would be beneficial for this site to point out what - ...

There's no limit to posts or requirement to explain your technical skills. There is, however, an expectation that if a person is asking a question, they will make some effort to understand the answer. Even this latest post is merely a ploy to get some more attention. I am replying, not for you but, in the hopes that others here can see the shift of gears and the new direction you are trying to take your cry for attention.

Sorry, bud but, there's nothing new or useful in this new slant in your efforts.

If you truly do think this is an unfair characterization, you can easily show it by going back over some of your own questions and the answers and suggestions given and at least make some hints that you've taken the info given and tried to apply it to some semi-related problem.

Last edited:
Are the sinusoidal characteristics of AC created at the generator, modified after the generator by a machine, a result of electron repulsion in wires, or something else? Could altering any of these change the sinusoidal characteristics?

The answer to all of these questions is yes. But I still don't see why you are trying to make a device as complex as a MRI machine when you could just use some electronic pieces that take turns activating their position on a wire grid as found in a digital drawing tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back