Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a sheet that resists

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont have a wife or a girl friend. What type of resistance should I expect?

And theoretically what type of sheeting material would I use if I had a resistive girl friend or wife? Silk, Cotton, wool, or Polyester blend?
Is tensile strengh going to be an issue?

And theoretically what type of sheeting material would I use if I had a resistive girl friend or wife? Silk, Cotton, wool, or Polyester blend?

If you pick a small girl with silk she slide's toward you limiting the resistance.

kv:)

Last edited:
World's Greatest Lover (but, could you make it stand up in court?)

If this is a concern, you may have some misconceptions about how to "do it". It's like the guy that thought he was a great lover because he made his girl''s toes curl....until he discovered that she just hadn't bothered to remove her pantyhose.

if were going to talk about theory we might as well cover something that is actually hard to understand. And I mean hard because its complicated, not because you can't stop talking about nonsense. Like for example I don't fully understand in what form an electromagnetic wave travels when it is passing through empty space, but the reason for that problem is that I have seen no explaination, not that I've been given one but insist that its because the invisible ether of space which suspends the planets is wobbling and want an explaination in those terms.

Love Easy Answers

if were going to talk about theory we might as well cover something that is actually hard to understand. And I mean hard because its complicated, not because you can't stop talking about nonsense. Like for example I don't fully understand in what form an electromagnetic wave travels when it is passing through empty space, but the reason for that problem is that I have seen no explaination, not that I've been given one but insist that its because the invisible ether of space which suspends the planets is wobbling and want an explaination in those terms.

Sure, okay...its because the invisible ether of space which suspends the planets is wobbling.

Next question?

Dark matter theory gives the electromagnetic and gravitational waves a 'something stuff' to be conducted though.
Think of it as being 90 degrees to our preceptive reality. Its there and we indirectly interact with it all the time. Its just not directly perceivable to us.

Sort of like air is to us as a child. We cant see it, hear it, smell it, taste it, or even touch it knowingly. But all senses can be affected by its movements and ability to conduct or transfer a force or media that we can detect and understand.

direct observation tells us its not there.
But observations of indirect reactions or influences say something is there.

Just a thought.

Nonono, you're doing the same thing he is doing. It's your wife that is resisting and is telling you were you stand. In your failure to understand why she is ever not in the mood, you are producing sheets between her and yourself to cloud the fundamental issue at hand into a form that you can more easily accept, but is still flawed as the fundamental issue remains unchanged.

Though it seems to me that the answer to this question may be apparent to some, what is your analysis of what I am doing?

Let me get this straight.

Failure to understand fundamental issue x The resistance of your wife = The amount of Sheets between you and her.

or is it the amount of sheets between you and her > = Your failure to understand the fundamental issue's ÷ her resistance.

or maybe........ never mind.

I'm confused.

kv

Though it is a little off subject, I imagined a third party.

Neurological! I wont try to impress you with how much I know or don't know about that. However, I'd like to hear some responses. Can resistance both inhibit and refine behavior?

Last edited:
So, anyway...I guessing that the "resistive sheet" part of this thread has pretty much gone by the wayside?

I'm going to search for some of the things that dknguyen said. I seem to remember her comparing insulators and conductors in general, and then saying something a lot more involved about electron orbitals. I am still hoping for perhaps an oversimplification that I can understand - if that doesn't violate any of the "important" rules.

I am still looking for a particular kind of sheet. I'll repeat it because I think that it would involve some work for a person to go back and find my question. I'd like for the sheet to offer changes in an amount of resistance that is measurable with insensitive equipment when sources of 3, 5, or 9 volts are moved between zero and one and a half feet from between zero and one and a half feet so as to never be separated more than one and a half feet. Is there a name for this type of change in resistance?

Also, is what is alternating in AC current the direction of the electrons or their velocity?

I'd like to apologize for any hasty generalizations that I made about this site earlier. I don't know the intent of the creators of this site, and I am not going to comment about what I think that the intent of this site should be. However, it is apparent to me that visitors may be discouraged by the nature of some of the responses that I have seen so far.

Sure, okay...its because the invisible ether of space which suspends the planets is wobbling.

Next question?

Is the magnetic field perpendicular to something that has to do with the wave that creates the visible or invisible spectrum? If it is always perpendicular - which it may or may not be - I don't know, then what can be so unique about the wobbling to make it that way?

Last edited:
Also, is what is alternating in AC current the direction of the electrons or their velocity?

The velocity can be calculated...but I forget how. It's some electric field calculations. But the answer you get is the velocity of the actual electrons is really really slow- a few feet per minute I believe. It's called "drift speed".

"For example, for a copper wire of radius 1 mm carrying a steady current of 10 amps, the drift velocity is only about 0.024 cm/sec"

The propogation of the electric wave though is really really fast- almost at the speed of light.

Last edited:
I went back over one dknguyen's posts and realized that she explained resistance more clearly than I remembered. It is still difficult for me to visualize a model though. Do any substances commonly exist in a gaseous state and have a conduction band that is larger than that of metals? I may not be thinking about it accurately - but do any of these not have to be heated first? Are there any special uses for them?

Why does heat increase as resistance does?

I'm still interested in the game board. Does anyone know of pictorial representation of how AC might be altered in a two or three dimensional material. I'm wondering if there might be a unique way that I can measure.

Thinking back about some of the posts, could anyone clear up some misconceptions. Can the resistance of a material in the form of a sheet vary consistently as a function of distance? It seems to me, the greater the distance, the more protons holding on to the electrons, the more resistance. Would this resistance in a two dimensional material mostly be because of this holding, or how the flow is displaced between two sources, or either, or are these the same?

I went back over one dknguyen's posts and realized that she explained resistance more clearly than I remembered. It is still difficult for me to visualize a model though. Do any substances commonly exist in a gaseous state and have a conduction band that is larger than that of metals? I may not be thinking about it accurately - but do any of these not have to be heated first? Are there any special uses for them?
You mean a bandgap energy smaller than that of metal, not conduction band itself. The amount of energy required for an electron to jump from valence to conduction band decides whether it's insulative, conductive, or semiconductive, not the "size" of the conduction band itself. In conductors the valence and conduction bands overlap (negative bandgap energy if you will)- the more they overlap the more conductive it is.

There's a lot of space between the atoms of a gas though so even if the material's bandgap makes it conductive, the resistance would still be high.

Why does heat increase as resistance does for a given amount of current?
More resistance = more power dissipated = more heat.

Your original wording is vague in a sense. If you have a fixed voltage source powering a resistisve load, and you decrease the resistance by a factor then the current will increase by that factor. But power dissipated is P = R*I^2. THe result is that I^2 increases faster than R decreases so you get more heating in this case.

Last edited:
If alternating current is produced by electrons moving in one direction and then another, why is it that there movement just happens to be sinusoidal?

Can a wave have a length up to three feet?

What would be the result of connecting a wire that had a length of some integer value times a wavelength to two points on a conducting cylinder, sheet, and sphere - having point and concentric circular sources of AC with the same wavelength, be in terms of wave patterns if the connections were not made a wavelength apart?

Last edited:
You mean a bandgap energy smaller than that of metal, not conduction band itself. The amount of energy required for an electron to jump from valence to conduction band decides whether it's insulative, conductive, or semiconductive, not the "size" of the conduction band itself. In conductors the valence and conduction bands overlap (negative bandgap energy if you will)- the more they overlap the more conductive it is.

There's a lot of space between the atoms of a gas though so even if the material's bandgap makes it conductive, the resistance would still be high.

What is the bandgap energy? Are there any natural or artificial occurances of gas molecules lining up in such a way as to make them as conductive as some metals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back