Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a good low-end oscilloscope?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjennejohn

For all you people looking for a decent low-end oscilloscope to test and experiment with, may I suggest:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2007/03/EDU5022_manual.pdf (for the manual)
Order it here: https://www.tequipment.net/OWONEDU5022.html
This offer just showed up (3/27/07) in my email, and has no deadline that I see.

This is a 25MHz bandwidth,100 MS/S dual-channel color-LCD unit with PC communications. It has several nice features, many of which mirror features and functions on my TEK TDS2024B, a VERY nice 4-channel 'scope.

Three big differences (to my mind):
- PRICE $368 (with inexpensive shipping!) vs $2200 to $2400, and
- BATTERY capability, optional battery pack included, NOT available on the TEK (well, OK, it can be had for another $1000 on the TPS version).
- Deeper storage (6k points) then my TEK 'scope (2500 points)!

I checked the manual on this. The specs look pretty decent. Check it out yourself. It suffers slightly from Chin-lish, but is a good translation. One thing: there is nothing I found about installing, charging, or the specs for service life of, the battery. You might want to check into this further. Maybe call these guys and see what they say.
Also, they are not terribly informative about serial communications. They claim USB and serial capability, and the picture in their ad suggests both ports are there, but the display-download section in the manual only mentions a serial connection.

It seems like a Godsend, but I'd like a few more heavy hitters here to check this out and give their opinion before the less experienced shell out big bucks for this.

Later!
kenjj

I'd rather dump my $368 into a decent Tek analog scope with some decent bandwidth. Cute digital functions or not, 25MHz isn't anything to crow about, that's for sure.

Dean

I am starting to read it now.

First off. If it sounds too good to be true?

Have you see their address? That is odd.

I tried for a TEK 2024 on Ebay (USED), went for almost retail. And I think I looked at these before. But I will read it and let you know what I think.

And the drawing of they front of it, not a picture is a little odd too..

For me I would probably pop for it at 50Mhz and able to handle volts to over 100..

I think support will be a problem as well (if it breaks)..

EDIT: Dean just posted, and he is right, Ebay has some good deals on a real one. But I like the fact I can take it with me. And data logging would be GREAT.

True enough, 25MHz is not a very good bandwidth. At best, you can only study a square wave no faster then 2.5MHz.

But, I posted this after seeing many threads through the years asking what kind of first 'scope a hobbyist should get whose price won't p*ss off the spouse. A lot of these discussions span the possibilities from sound card 'scopes, through 100MHz analog TEKs from the 60's and 70's on Ebay (of dubious functionality, without calibration), to digital USB versions doing 20MHz to 100MHz and costing one months rent or better. Also, a lot these people asking state they would like digital storage. I have seen 2MHz and 5MHz handhelds with tiny LCDs going for around this price.

This 'scope would easily handle serial communications signals (+/- 12V or so); slow rising analog signals feeding ADCs and comparators; and motor drives/noise, among many other things. To my mind this is a good 'scope for classes as a training aid in using an oscilloscope 'in the real world'. I would NEVER recommend this for bench, lab or field work.

What's wrong with an address in New Jersey? I have purchased equipment from these people before. They do indeed exist.

Yes, some of the pictures in the manual leave something to be desired. This seems to be a trend of these manuals from Pacific Rim manufacturers. I have literally scoured the web looking for better manuals. Most of these guys end up selling the same unit under different names through different distributors. I recently downloaded a manual from an American distributor to replace an atrocious original manual received with the equipment I ordered from some discount sales house in Hong Kong.

What can I say? You get what you pay for and suffer accordingly IF you don't know a few tricks. I merely offer this unit up as my idea of a decent 'scope for the beginner and/or hobbyist on a tight budget. Read the manual they offer and make up your own mind. Spend accordingly.

'Nuff said.
kenjj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back