Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Longboard Headlight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how effective the shake to recharge flashlight idea would be. The ones I have seen you have to shake pretty violently to get the plunger inside moving. Unless you wipe out alot, I don't know if this would work.

I think a charging circuit would be impractical on a skate board. Your options are pretty limited. You could use a solar panel if you like to do alot of skateboarding at noon in the desert and can manage not to step on the panel. You could spin a small generator off one of the wheels if you don't mind a bunch of extra crap hanging off the bottom of your board.

Just about any battery is going to run a few LEDs like you are talking about for several hours minimum. It would be much simpler just to recharge the batterys with a wall charger in the house.

Well I'm not sure. You are probably thinking of just smoothly riding down a hill, but every time I push on flat or up, the plunger would fly forward, and if I footbraked or slided to stop it would move the other direction. And if one was perpendicular to the board when I turned, G-Force would push it to the outside of the turn until it dropped down enough which would cause gravity to pull it back, because the tube would be at an angle.

Really it comes down to how complex is a charging circuit for varied amperage and voltage like that?

It takes a huge amount of energy to make a shake light charge a battery. Many shake-lights hide a non-rechargeable battery inside to make it look like it works (for a few minutes).
It doesn't work unless you contrinue shaking it all the time.

Maybe if you were in a long duration earthquake then the shakelight might work for a few minutes.

I have two "shake" lights that look almost identical. One of them gets a few hours of not very bright light from a CR2032 non-rechargeable lithium cell. The other gets about 5 minutes of not very bright light for each minute of aggressive shaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back