Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Longboard Headlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnrule

Hello. I'm interested in making "headlights" for my longboard. Here are my requirements:
  1. Cool Color (Just so it looks sweet :p )
  2. LEDs or something similar because it needs to be very durable
  3. Lightweight (Power supply and lighting)
  4. Battery powered and rechargable (obviously)
  5. Lasts at least 5 minutes on one charge but preferably more
  6. Charger that is simple to make or I can purchase
  7. Cheap as possible

I'm thinking 2 up front and 1 or 2 underneath to make it look cool.
And I'd like something in the whereabouts of 10' x 3' for how much is illuminated, but more is okay.

What do you guys think?
Is it feasible?
How should I do it?

Anything mounted on your deck would most likely get yanked off by your leash, and would also be a hazard for the rider.

Anything mounted on your deck would most likely get yanked off by your leash, and would also be a hazard for the rider.

Agreed, I wouldnt put anything on the top of your deck, but I believe your intending for most of it to be underneath?

The simplest thing would be to get a bunch of high brightness LEDs that you like and decide how many of them you want. From there you can decide what Wattage you need and you can get your batts. The best thing for your project would probly be a bunch of AA batts, 1.5 volts, wired in series. You can get these at your local radio shack along with the charger. From there you can decide what reisistance you need and your ready to start putting stuff together.

Also, it would be cool if you make your headlights out of hi-brightness white LEDs. the underglow, or whatever you had planned, could be other colors like red but these tend to be less bright than the white ones so pick your colors wisely.

Last edited:
Agreed, I wouldnt put anything on the top of your deck, but I believe your intending for most of it to be underneath?

The simplest thing would be to get a bunch of high brightness LEDs that you like and decide how many of them you want. From there you can decide what Wattage you need and you can get your batts. The best thing for your project would probly be a bunch of AA batts, 1.5 volts, wired in series. You can get these at your local radio shack along with the charger. From there you can decide what reisistance you need and your ready to start putting stuff together.

Also, it would be cool if you make your headlights out of hi-brightness white LEDs. the underglow, or whatever you had planned, could be other colors like red but these tend to be less bright than the white ones so pick your colors wisely.

Of course you realize batteries underwater need to be isolated from saltwater.

Second thought is mounting heavy batts to a fiberglass board, any type of mounting holes would be a source of leakage, and water logged surfboards suck. Epoxy may work, I dunno.

Third thought is anything mounted on the bottom side would alter the behavior of the board in a negative way.

If this is just a one time thing for a show, it would not be a big deal I suppose, but other than that, you would just wreck a board.

Of course you realize batteries underwater need to be isolated from saltwater.

Second thought is mounting heavy batts to a fiberglass board, any type of mounting holes would be a source of leakage, and water logged surfboards suck. Epoxy may work, I dunno.

Third thought is anything mounted on the bottom side would alter the behavior of the board in a negative way.

If this is just a one time thing for a show, it would not be a big deal I suppose, but other than that, you would just wreck a board.

I think we are talking about two different things, Im talking about this kind of longboard:

https://tcrogers.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/ub240-longboard-angle.jpg

I would think hes talking about a skateboard rather than a surfboard, Ive never seen anyone surfing when its pitch black outside, maybe it makes it more extreme?

lol, I think you could be right. I was thinking the surfboard type, and the idea sounded absurd. A skateboard makes more sense. The last time I rode a skateboard , it had metals wheels mounted on a hunk of plywood.
I still surf though :)

BTW, I have night surfed, major rush... Surf by moonlight and sound.

Last edited:
Waterboard, skateboard or snowboard.
These snowboard riders have their own "headlights".

Attachments

• snowboard.jpg
    snowboard.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 302
I was speaking of the skateboard type, I was unaware people referred to surfboards as longboards. I live in Denver, CO. so not much surfing. :D

Are there any specific LEDs I should check out? I'm going for best brightness to power for the front and just a bright cool color for underneath.

Those metal wheels were horrible.

Maybe some led strips for underneath and a mini flashlight for headlight? If you used the 12V strips then a boost driver would be needed of your 2, 3, or 4 AA rechargeable battery's. Getting a combo AA nimh charger/battery pack would probably be the cheapest.

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/index.php?

The Formula One car race in Singapore today was at night there. They used 1800 lights that are 2000W each powered by generators.

Try the 3.6kW of lights on your long board.

So I went ahead with my instincts and bought 2 18000mcd Super Bright 30 degree white LEDs and 10 32 degree 7500mcd Super Bright green LEDs.

Think this should be sufficient?

I'm thinking 2 greens to cover the area about 2' out in front, angled more down, and the 2 whites out front angled less down to get good coverage further out, and the rest underneath.

I'll be running them in parallel with 3 AA rechargables. How long do you think this'll last?

They said for both about 3.5v typical 4.2v max, 20ma.

Three rechargeable battery cells make 3.6V which slowly drops to 3.0V and the LEDs will slowly dim as the battery runs down. It is not enough extra voltage for you to add current-limiting resistors. Use four cells for 4.8V.
If the LEDs each has 20mA then the total current is 240mA. if the AA cells are 2500mAh ni-MH then one charge will light the LEDs for 2500/240= 10.4 hours.
Use a 68 ohm/0.25W current-limiting resistor in series with each LED if the LEDs are 3.5V and use 30 ohms if the LEDs are 4.2V..

The Formula One car race in Singapore today was at night there. They used 1800 lights that are 2000W each powered by generators.

Try the 3.6kW of lights on your long board.

You are out by a factor of 1000 there AG.

3.6MW

JimB

Just curious, did I get ripped?

My leds were:

18000 mcd White 30 degree @ 99 cents ea.
7500 mcd Green 32 degree @ 49 cents ea.

Just curious, did I get ripped?

My leds were:

18000 mcd White 30 degree @ 99 cents ea.
7500 mcd Green 32 degree @ 49 cents ea.

I don't know. But my idea is take a shake re-chargeable flashlight (Dollar Store.) Re-move & extend the wires to the side. Add two if you want. Balance them on both sides of the deck and ................ the battery will be re-charged do to the rate of impulse's or accelerations.

Edit: If you have the led's then benefit by creating a circuit to recharge the power source. Later streamline the concept.

kv

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this would be possible?

How does a charging circuit work?

Is it terribly complex for 4 NiMH (Nickel-metal hydride) batteries?

That would be awesome assuming it isn't to far over my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back