Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Logic Level MOSFET

Status
Not open for further replies.

olof102

Hi,
I'm looking for a N-ch and a P-ch MOSFET that can handle 24V 6A and will switch on with the current from a PC's parallel port and it's voltage 3,3V.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance!

PS, I need it to a H-bridge that will run a 100W 24V DC motor.

Logic level Fets, like the IRL series from International Rectifier still require 4.5V on their gate. 3.3V is too low, and a much lower impedance source. You can easily fix this by adding some NPN small-signal transistors between the port and the gate. Write back if you need a diagram.

Last edited:
Thanks MiikeMI! Please do send me the diagram!! I have a lots of small signal transistors so that shouldn't be a problem, just let me know how to wire it up! =)

Thanks MiikeMI! Please do send me the diagram!! I have a lots of small signal transistors so that shouldn't be a problem, just let me know how to wire it up! =)

One other caution: When a PC boots up, the parallel port pins do a complicated dance (I'm guessing that is used by the mother board manufacturer for testing). If your 24V power supply is turned on during PC boot-up, the port pins may hit the exact pattern that happens to turn on both the top and bottom transistor of your H-bridge, which will blow up something.

Last time I did this, I had to use a decode of the port pins and some of the bits from one of the status registers to enable the external drivers. I experimentally had to find a unique bit pattern which never happens during the boot-up sequence.

One other question: Will you be controlling the gates of the high-side (P-Channel FETs) from the PP? (IOW: are you using 2bits from the PP or 4?)

Oh, then I'll keep in mind to dissconnect the cable between computer and H-bridge during startup.

Sorry for noob questions, How do I know if I'm using 2 bits or 4 bits?
I have written a proram in C++.

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <dos.h>

void main(void)
{outportb(0x378,0x00);
};

00 = 0V on datapins
01 = 3,3V on Datapin1
02 = 3,3V on Datapin 2
And so on I guess...?

Is this what you mean?

Will I be able to control the direction of the motor with this code?

Thanks!

Oh, then I'll keep in mind to dissconnect the cable between computer and H-bridge during startup.

Sorry for noob questions, How do I know if I'm using 2 bits or 4 bits?
I have written a proram in C++.

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <dos.h>

void main(void)
{outportb(0x378,0x00);
};

00 = 0V on datapins
01 = 3,3V on Datapin1
02 = 3,3V on Datapin 2
And so on I guess...?

Is this what you mean?

Will I be able to control the direction of the motor with this code?

Thanks!

Read this thread. This is an example of an H-Bridge that can be controlled with only two bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back