Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

logic gate chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

mozikluv

:D good day to everyone,

before i give out my request, i would like to lay out a little background on my know how on using logic gates. i have been using this chips without really understanding the why and how the chip funtions. reason is i only follow the circuit diagram of the project that i like. if anyone remembers i have posted here "how to install CMOS chips" reason is everytime i try to build a project i always end up destroying the chip bcoz of mishandling, so i end up using at least 2 chips or sometimes 3 making my project expensive.

since i became a member of this forum, my interest for logic gates has greatly increased, coz i believe i can do lots of you know what with this devises.

so forgive me if i shoot lot of questions regarding this.

Item A: CD4001 - quad NOR & 7402N quad NOR
question 1. do they have same pin configuration?
2. are they interchangeable
3. is there a major difference between the two

Item B: CD4077, CD4030, CD4507 - quadXOR
1. same pin configuration
2. interchangeable
3. major difference

Item C: 7486, 74L86, 74AC86, 74C86N - quad XOR
2. interchangeable
3. can these 74xxx sub with Item B

Thanx :lol:

logic families

Item A: CD4001 - quad NOR & 7402N quad NOR
question 1. do they have same pin configuration?
2. are they interchangeable
3. is there a major difference between the two

A.1&2. No. The CD4001 NOR gate outputs are pins 3,4,10, and 11. The 7402 outputs are pins 1,4,10, and 13.
A.3 besides the pinout, the CD4000 is CMOS and the 7400 series is TTL.
The two families have many different features, and are interchangeable in only a subset of cases.

Item B: CD4077, CD4030, CD4507 - quadXOR
2. interchangeable
3. major difference

B The CD4030, CD4070 and CD4507 are quad exclusive-OR gates, and have identical pin-outs. The CD4077 is a quad exclusive-NOR.

Item C: 7486, 74L86, 74AC86, 74C86N - quad XOR
2. interchangeable
3. can these 74xxx sub with Item B

C.1. yes
C.2. it depends. again these are different logic families and have different specs. The 7486 is classic TTL, the 74L86 consumes about 1/10 the power of TTL but runs slower, the 74C86 (74Cxx in general) is equivalent to the CD4000 parts, and the 74AC86 is an "advanced CMOS" part (runs faster, consumes less power than CD4000 family).
C.3. The 74C86 is a direct sub for the CD4030/4070.

How are you powering the CMOS parts, Mozikluv? Just curious. - CAL

:D hi CAL,

would you believe i forgot to ask that, the operating voltage of those chips? :oops: :) :oops: :D

pls. direct me to the web where these gizmos are found so i can get the datasheets.

thanx a lot CAL :D :D :D

If Your circuit powered by 5V, this useable for all chips. Some CMOS (e.g.CD4xxx serie) run up to 15V.
The CD4077 is an equivalent gate.

Attachments

• 4001.GIF
    4001.GIF
    11.3 KB · Views: 6,660
  • 4077.gif
    4077.gif
    21.4 KB · Views: 5,921
  • 86.gif
    86.gif
    109.3 KB · Views: 9,351
operating voltage of logic chips

:D :D thanx sebi :lol: :lol: :lol:

datasheets

you can find datasheets for most CD4000 and 7400 parts here:

**broken link removed**

most standard logic families are designed to run off a 5V supply. Some of the newer logic families run at 3.3V. The CD4000 series has the widest supply range, 3 - 18V. The 74HCxxx (not HCT) parts can run off a 2 - 6V supply, most of the other families need a supply in the range of 4.5 - 5.5V.

logicaly a chip seems to perform the same function for many gates are they the same obviously not. a 7474 is logicaly the same as 74ls74 if you look at pins. logicaly the same but different family.

neon said:
logicaly a chip seems to perform the same function for many gates are they the same obviously not. a 7474 is logicaly the same as 74ls74 if you look at pins. logicaly the same but different family.
Thank you for resurrecting a 4+ year old thread. :rolleyes:
EDIT: However, you did cause me to start worrying about Laroche73. He hasn't posted for over a year. Mozikluv seems to be alive and well over at All About Circuits. Sebi hasn't been around for about 6 months.

Last edited:
Roff said:
Thank you for resurrecting a 4+ year old thread. :rolleyes:
EDIT: However, you did cause me to start worrying about Laroche73. He hasn't posted for over a year. Mozikluv seems to be alive and well over at All About Circuits,

Damn. Have to get in the habit of checking dates...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back