Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Load Regulation Equation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mananshah93

I am deriving load regulation for 7.5V 2Amp. linear power supply, but I am confused regarding the equation of percentage load regulation.

which of 3 is correct?

1....Load Reg = {(Vn - Vf) / Vf} x 100%
where Load Reg = load regulation;

Vn = no-load output voltage;

Vf = full-load output voltage

OR

2....Load Reg. = V full load -V Minimum Load
--------------------------
V nominal load

Where:

FullLoad is the load that draws the greatest current (is the lowest specified load resistance - never short circuit)
MinimumLoad is the load that draws the least current (is the highest specified load resistance - possibly open circuit for some types of linear supplies, usually limited by pass transistor minimum bias levels)
NominalLoad is the typical specified operating load

OR

3.....Load Reg = {(Vn - Vf) / Vn} x 100%

#1 is correct.

What you are measuring is the % change in voltage from when the supply is unloaded to fully loaded, the smaller the figure the better.

Thanks, I have designed 7.5V 2 Amp. power supply using LM338, 230 to 12V 3Amp. Transformer, Bridge Rectifier having 1.1V Forward drop per bridge and filter capacitor around 20000MF.
I am having load regulation of around 1.06 percentage, but I read that linear power supply can give regulation of 0.01 %, how to achieve this?

Sorry buy I think you've wasted your time because an audio amplifier doesn't need a regulated supply.

Sorry, I thought it was for an audio amplfier.

What do you need to power with this power supply?

It might not need a regulated supply, a 6V transformer with a bridge rectifier and 22,000µF capacitor might do.

The datasheet for the LM338 specifies a worst case of 0.6%, however it has a thermal stability of 1% meaning the output voltage can drift by 1% over the temperature range. Given the heating of the die, the regulation and the resistance of the wires, it woudln't surprise me if this could amount to 1.06%.

How thick are the wires?

How good is the heat sink?

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/08/LM138PDF.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back