Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

liquid nitrogen generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocket100

Hi guys, I really want a liquid nitrogen generator no matter the price what I care about is the size. I found a great one here: **broken link removed** its about as big as a water machine. The only problem is that they don't explain at all how the heck you buy it or how much it is :mad::mad::mad:. So if anybody knows the price or how to get or both please tell me!!!!

Thanks in advanced! :D:D:D:D

Here's how it works: **broken link removed**

The tricky part is how to separate oxygen from nitrogen gas. That is not explained. There are a lot of ways could be done. Have you checked Linde or any of the other LN2 providers for such ideas?

Do you really mean price is not object?

John

BTW: Here is where to buy one (also on the Elan website): **broken link removed**

Last edited:
What I understand of money is no object deals is that its no object because the person doesn't have it in the first place. :(

How much liquid N do you need? And what for?

For what it would cost to build your own multistage cryogenic system capable of liquefying N2 right from the air you could probably buy several tanker truck loads right from the manufacturing plant. ;)
The problem you will run into with DIY system is that you cant legally obtain or buy many of the needed refrigerants and components that will be needed to be able to make the necessary super cold conditions that N2 will condense under even at high pressures.

If you live in the united states or Canada just go to your local welding supply chain store like Praxair, American welding, Amerigas or any of the other big name national dealers and you can buy it in bulk liquid containers. Its completely legal and all you need to do is fill out a rental agreement for the tank or dewar it comes in.

Sorry but even with all the proper information and sources of materials needed its doubtful you could ever justifiably build one. Being that mass production facilities will still be able to sell it to you cheaper than you can make it yourself.

I need it for superconducting experiments. So that means I only need one liter per day at the most. I just need something as cold as LN2 or colder. So it doesn't have to be LN2. Could I just make a liquid air generator from a peltier cell stack and a de-humidifier? :confused::confused:

rocket, have you ever heard of this thing callled e-mail? Contact their sales department and ask them for a quote.

Just call your local welding gas supply dealers on the phone. (That thing you use to take pictures and can talk to other people with.)

Just rent a liquid Nitrogen dewar for a week or so. Its fairly cheap.
Most welding supply chain stores, at least Praxair does, also carry other cryogenic liquids as well.
You can also get liquid, oxygen, Argon, hydrogen, and helium if you want too!
The commercial liquid oxygen is cheap but the other stuff gets expensive fast!

I would suggest getting the liquid oxygen and hydrogen. Then you really can be Rocketman! :D

Last edited:
rocket, have you ever heard of this thing callled e-mail? Contact their sales department and ask them for a quote.

I did try emailing them like 10 times and they are being stupid about it. They won't give me the info I ask for. Maybe I should just call them.

Just call your local welding gas supply dealers on the phone. (That thing you that takes pictures and can talk to other people with.)

Just rent a liquid Nitrogen dewar for a week or so. Its fairly cheap.
Most welding supply chain stores, at least Praxair does, also carry other cryogenic liquids as well.
You can also get liquid, oxygen, Argon, hydrogen, and helium if you want too!
The commercial liquid oxygen is cheap but the other stuff gets expensive fast!

I would suggest getting the liquid oxygen and hydrogen. Then you really can be Rocketman! :D

LOL. Yea but the closest welding supply store is two hours away:(
That is why I want the machine.

So hire the pizza delivery guy to bring a side order of LN2.

The core advice is still the same:
For what it would cost to build your own multistage cryogenic system capable of liquefying N2 right from the air you could probably buy several tanker truck loads right from the manufacturing plant. ;)

No. I can't get tanker trucks to bring LN2 because I live in a house! And it's to far to drive to the welding supply store. So can the ELAN2 be shipped? Or is there any other SMALL LN2 generators?

Where do you live? For the right price I will deliver!

Or more likely I would just subcontract one of the locals to go get it for you and do the delivery's while I make easy money from a kid! :D

I hope your banking some of that mad money your getting. The cash cow is well known for jumping the fence and leaving you far behind overnight and never to be seen again. ;)

I have seen far too many people I know spend like theres no end when they did have money coming in just to wake up one day and find that there was a very sharp end despite their earlier protests saying other wise and that what they where doing will always be in demand. :(

Been there and done that myself.

The welding supply house is your best bet, though you may have to provide a legitimate transport Dewar. Or perhaps rent one from them...Remember, its liquid gas, unless you hold it at -125F it will boil off in a few hours.

Good luck and don't freeze your fingers/eyeballs.

Some high vacuum pumps are cryopumps. The refrigerant gas is helium. The one we use gets to 16 K in an hour.

The main difference between cooling to those temperatures and ordinary refrigeration is that the helium doesn't condense. So to make the helium get cold, the expansion of the helium can't be in a simple throttle or expansion valve like a refrigerator has. There has to be an expander that makes the helium do mechanical work, and the energy from that work has to be taken away, so that it doesn't create heat in the cold area.

**broken link removed** might lead to some interesting reading.

Actualy the big vacuum insulated dewars can keep it liquid for several days being that the actual boil off is suprizingly slow.

I used to have to fill them and they could easily sit over night with out justifying them being topped off.

If you need a lot you can get a big Gas Pack unit. those hold up to about 200+ L and take a few weeks to vent out. But you will need a truck to transport one.

Heres a picture of one!

pstam_ln2_dewar.jpg

what I was interested in was that the ELAN2 Office Liquid Nitrogen Generator has the ability to produce between 4.5 L and 6 L of liquid nitrogen every 24 hours. Which is EXACTLY what I need. The only problem is how do I get it. Thats all I need someone to explain. Do I have to go get it or get it shipped.:D

Here's how it works: **broken link removed**

The tricky part is how to separate oxygen from nitrogen gas. That is not explained. There are a lot of ways could be done. Have you checked Linde or any of the other LN2 providers for such ideas?

Do you really mean price is not object?

John

BTW: Here is where to buy one (also on the Elan website): **broken link removed**

Hi John,

they do explain how oxygen is separated from nitrogen. I put a copy of the textfile in the attachment.

Hans

Attachments

• nitrogen-separation.doc
    173 KB · Views: 304
Given its size it most likely going to have to be truck freight which if you can get a local business to accept it at their loading docks would save you a fair amount of money Vs having it shipped to you and unloaded at your driveway.

The freight carrier can tell you what it will cost either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back