Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

Im switching to LINUX/WINDOWS dual boot... i want to know what, if any programs i can use for PIC programming aside from using a Virtual Machine or my Windows Boot.

Not at the top of my list. If the question was how to run MPLAB or the MCXX languages under Linux stop right here!!!! If the question is there PIC language/compilers that can run under Linux, then read on.

Here is link that sets up a linux toolchain for PICs in the basic language **broken link removed**, could be useful, or enlightening? You have to recompile one of the GCBasic source files, if I get that right, oh joy. Haven't done it, don't see the need to anytime soon.

Hi Jason

I am running the other way round so boot windows from Linux under a VM.
I use Ubuntu and use Piklab for asm.

Rupert

You know what is funny Ret hat did the code for C18 Looks like that would work in linux LOL
I've us Mplab with wine pickt2 with wine swordfish with wine
Piklab works good with KDE not so hot with Gnome

just got home from work to find so many replies :) yay! thanks. Im still on a windows system right now but finished my backup of stuff...

tomorrow im off... so i will partition and format both partitions. I will install linux first to make sure i dont mess up windows.

Atom you want to install windows first then Linux Windows has a bad habit of making Linux not bootable where as linux can boot windows where ever it is

Oh ok thanks for the TIP!

Ok i gave it some thought and decided i will use my dual boot for good reasons!

Windows Boot - PIC
Linux Boot - ARM

Yes, Windoze does not want to play "nice" with other OSes. Install Windows first and use a boot manager like GRUB to switch between Linux and Windows. Otherwise the windows install will over-write the boot sector and assume the entire HDD is there for it's amusement.

Atom you want to install windows first then Linux Windows has a bad habit of making Linux not bootable where as linux can boot windows where ever it is
Just FYI, Super Grub Disk (SGD) can fix that, and just about any Grub (Grand Unified Bootloader) problem you may have. It's a must-have lifesaver for anyone who multiboots Linux.

It's funky and strange (written entirely in Grub's scripting language), but it's a wonderful set of Grub utilities. The English language translation is terrible (the author is Portuguese, I think), but after some fooling around with it you'll get the idea.

Look into Piklab Homepage - Home it's quite nice. I've used it. It supports many programmers, altough i didn't get pickit2 ti work, but the solution is simple. Just go to here and download PK2CMD V1.20 Linux Kernel 2.6 Executable Binary. It's a commandline interface for pickit2 and it works perfectly. Take some tome to familiarize yourself with it. When you succeed in programming a pic trough it, make a simple bash script to do it for you.

I.e. use piklab to code & compile/assemble and then make a small script to copy to he .hex to the same folder as yout pk2cmd and then program it. pk2cmd requires root access in order to access the usb-ports.

Code:
PK2CMD -PPIC16F887 -F/home/whatev/someting/program.hex -M

when i install linux i plan to develop pc programs on it as well so im sure ill make a new pickit2 app and of course its open freeware source and all. Ill even see if i can start a wiki type thing for it :D

I've successfully run MPLAB (and programmed a PIC using a Pickit2) from Windows 7 RC running under Virtualbox under Ubuntu.

So, the PIC development stuff does work under VMs. Haven't tried in WINE yet, don't know how it would handle USB devices.

Just FYI, Super Grub Disk (SGD) can fix that, and just about any Grub (Grand Unified Bootloader) problem you may have. It's a must-have lifesaver for anyone who multiboots Linux.

It's funky and strange (written entirely in Grub's scripting language), but it's a wonderful set of Grub utilities. The English language translation is terrible (the author is Portuguese, I think), but after some fooling around with it you'll get the idea.

Thanks i found out Ubuntu has the grub in it. I will follow this tut and install both today...

How to dual boot Windows XP and Linux (XP installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots

That's a good disk to have got one of them too.
I make most of my money resetting passwords on windows xp ansd Vista
I use a linux boot cd that has a program that can edit the sam file

Sure it can fix but why would you want to fix more then need to when installing
If he has windows on first and then Installs ubuntu it will set it up for him

I can boot linux with the windows boot loader not something easy to tell
some one how to fix when they can't boot

Atom it's no big deal to install Ubuntu if you can read LOL

I Know you can read it has one of the best installers it ask a few questions only
one that could go wrong is parted and thats where you tell it how much disk to use
so just take your time with parted and you'll be a happy duel booter LOL

when i install linux i plan to develop pc programs on it as well so im sure ill make a new pickit2 app and of course its open freeware source and all. Ill even see if i can start a wiki type thing for it :D

Any one that is having problems using pickit2 in linux
run it app. as root and it will work.

cool ill be back in about 3-4 hours. Going to finish downloading and burning cds then reinstalling windows (creating 2 partitions) and then linux.

Should i split my harddrive in half for partitions?

I have my main HD is 250GB should i put 100GB for Linux and rest for windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back