Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a linux boot cd that has a program that can edit the sam file

Can you explain this to me more? I have a friend, he 17 and forgot his pass. He has no money to pay anyone to reset it. I was going to do it for him but by reinstalling xp. But if i can avoid that, im sure he would be happy

I'm very new to PIC's and this list but have been using Linux since 2000 and having dual booted and used wine and/or cxoffice I am now using Vbox from Sun for running MS software. I run Slackware and the same vbox virtual machine is working fine on both 12.2 and current rc2

Yesterday I installed MPLAB and the PICKit2 software on my virtual machine. I don't know anything about MPLAP and programming PICs yet but the programmer is working fine and I can access the chip and power up the demo board.

AFAIC this the simplest way to go as most of the tutorials, etc. seem to focus on using windows and MPLAB and my guest system (XP) is somewhat portable as it is basicaly a big file xp.vdi which can be backed up on another drive should you want to repartition or just backup as a cron job. I just install vbox somewhere else and I can have it up and running again.

Note that there are other Linux aps if you know what your doing like PiKdev and GP-Utils (which has a Microchip approved MPLAB plugin) and also that there are two versions of Vbox for Linux. The open source version will not allow access to your usb ports, I have installed from VirtualBox-3.0.4-50677-Linux_x86.run, this will allow access to usb.

I'm very new to PIC's and this list but have been using Linux since 2000 and having dual booted and used wine and/or cxoffice I am now using Vbox from Sun for running MS software. I run Slackware and the same vbox virtual machine is working fine on both 12.2 and current rc2

Yesterday I installed MPLAB and the PICKit2 software on my virtual machine. I don't know anything about MPLAP and programming PICs yet but the programmer is working fine and I can access the chip and power up the demo board.

AFAIC this the simplest way to go as most of the tutorials, etc. seem to focus on using windows and MPLAB and my guest system (XP) is somewhat portable as it is basicaly a big file xp.vdi which can be backed up on another drive should you want to repartition or just backup as a cron job. I just install vbox somewhere else and I can have it up and running again.

Note that there are other Linux aps if you know what your doing like PiKdev and GP-Utils (which has a Microchip approved MPLAB plugin) and also that there are two versions of Vbox for Linux. The open source version will not allow access to your usb ports, I have installed from VirtualBox-3.0.4-50677-Linux_x86.run, this will allow access to usb.

You pointed out some good things I forgot about USB or I would of pointed that out I'm going to try VirtualBox-3.0.4-50677-Linux_x86.run
thanks .

Can you explain this to me more? I have a friend, he 17 and forgot his pass. He has no money to pay anyone to reset it. I was going to do it for him but by reinstalling xp. But if i can avoid that, im sure he would be happy

For XP password resets, kon-boot is super simple. You can google it. Just put it on a boot USB drive or CD.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back