Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Line level volume device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnytucats

We'd like to use a pair of active monitors (powered speakers) here at the office (music publishing company) in a listening room. The signal will be from the tape outs of an ordinary home amplifier (line level).

Is there some simple stereo volume device that can be put between the amp and the monitors to control the loudness? Hopefully, minimal degradation of sound.

What is the distance between speakers and amplifier?

Those look real fancy but that's not what I need at all.

Let me describe the situation differently:

Let's say you have a home amplifier/receiver, a CD player, and a cassette deck. You want to make a cassette copy of a CD. The CD player is, of course, connected to the "CD In" left and right RCA inputs on the amp. The cassette deck is connected to the "TAPE" outs (forget the ins for now). To record the CD, your start it playing, put a cassette in record and adjust the levels on the cassette deck.

Now let's assume your cassette deck's record level knobs are stuck, say, on "5" out of 10. What could you put between the amp and the cassette deck to adjust the levels?

This is my question. Just substitute the active (powered) speakers for the cassette deck.

If signal amplitude is the only thing you want to control, then the above mentioned IC is for it. But if you also want to control individual frequency bands of the audio then you need a digital graphic-equilizer IC to be hooked between your CD player and amplifier. SGS Thomson makes these ICs. Visit www.st.com for parametric search.

Or if I am still making some mistake in understanding your problem, I would like to know what are the labels on the knob which you adjust while recording.

:? :( :roll: Lets see if someone is smart enough to find out what you want.

you confuse him....

kinjal, you confuse the poor guy!!! :lol:
what he needs is just a stereo potentiometer, or another preamp, for adjudstable gain an volume.

Thats what I had suggested him. DS1802 is a digital stereo pot. But he says he doesn't want it !! :? :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back