Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lighting up my sculpture

Status
Not open for further replies.

blckscab

Hey there everyone =]
I know that this may be a very simple question to you lot, but im really not the best at electronics... =/

I have a sculpture made up of 3 parts that each use 4 LEDs (total of 12 LEDs). Rather have it battery powered (which is a hassle as it is a sculpture and should be able to be left on for long amounts of time) I want it to plug into the mains. How would i go about this?

The LEDs are all '5mm LED super bright 1000mcd, 1.85v - 2.5v max @30ma - red'

Any help will be apreciated for this clueless noob =p
Thanks =]

define a "long periods of time", how big is the sculpture, and how much light do you need?

I would think that if it is plugged in you probably need more light than what a few 5mms can supply. What is the angle of the LEDs? 1000mCd at 5 degrees is nothing, at 30 is half of what it should have been 8 years ago, and a good lighting class puts out 40,000mCd at 75 for 3W of power.

You are actually better if you use the lumen conversion values for comparison: **broken link removed**

at 1000mCd at 5 is 0.005Lm, at 30 is 0.214Lm, and a lighting class is 60Lm. The difference is that mCd is the intensity of light that hits a surface measured at a given distance from the source and a lumen is the actual actual quantity of light that comes from the source. MilliCandellas change with viewing angle, lumens do not.

Dan

Last edited:
The LEDs are fine, dw =] They are not actualy pointing at the sculpture like a spot light, they are mounted onto it to light up specific areas. Im fairly certain they produce enough light for their purpose. Plus they are what i have handy atm, so id rather use them up. =P
When i say long periods of time, i mean id like to be able to keep it on during the night.

2V*4 LEDs = 8V
20mA*3 strings = 60mA
60mA*12Hrs=720mAHr=0.72AHr

A set of 8 AA rechargables are between 2 and 2.5AHr. $21 for a 2.3AHr lead acid. If you need more time just about any 9-12V hockey puck will do

From an artistic standpoint you might want to rethink raw LED's, they don't produce a very visually appealing light source. Maybe a dab of water colour paint with a slight yellow tint will warm up and break up the light a little.

Hmmmm, on second thoughts, the LEDs really are not as bright as i thought they were... Is it just because red is a 'dark' colour? Or are there better red LEDs i could use?

**broken link removed**

Thats the first schematic i came up with. As you can see, there are 3 parts and 4 LEDs and a motor on each part. The motor is something im considering adding to it... Another problem im going to have to tackle after i sort out the LEDs if i do.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, on second thoughts, the LEDs really are not as bright as i thought they were... Is it just because red is a 'dark' colour? Or are there better red LEDs i could use?

**broken link removed**

Thats the first schematic i came up with. As you can see, there are 3 parts and 4 LEDs and a motor on each part. The motor is something im considering adding to it... Another problem im going to have to tackle after i sort out the LEDs if i do.
well there are lighting class LEDs, but you still need to have the sculpture able to reflect the wavelength the LEDs are emitting.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back