Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lighthouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcflyer

This is a follow-up to my earlier lighthouse thread. Some background: My father partially finished this lighthouse as woodworking project before his untimely death of a heart attack six years ago at the age of 58. We decided to finish Dad's project and make it into a memorial at our lake house.

Some asked me to post pictures when construction was complete. Here they are! This first photo shows the size of it. The second one is closer view of the top. I decided to paint it as close to the Cape Hatteras light as I could get. Hatteras was one of Dad's favorite lighthouses, although this wasn't the original paint scheme. I know, the stripes would look better if it was skinnier and round like Hatteras, instead of the hexagonal shape we had to work with, but I think the results are fine.

I had the copper roof cap made by a local sheet metal fabricator, and the memorial plaque was made by a trophy shop. Also note the gray "bricks" on the base. Each of the family members has carved their name in one around the memorial plaque. I'm still waiting on the ones from my sister's family, so that's why one side is still missing.

This will be mounted on a stone base next to the lake.

Attachments

• ken-lighthouse.jpg
    ken-lighthouse.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 199
  • top-detail.jpg
    top-detail.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Here are some close-ups of the circuitry. The bottom circuit board holds the fuse, voltage regulator, and 555 timer circuit. The middle boards have the super-bright white LEDs with mini-maglite reflectors, as well as the driver circuitry. On top is the 4017 decade counter that takes the clock pulse from the 555 timer and triggers the LEDs two at a time in sequence. The two red LED's are the power and clock indicators to aid in troubleshooting any malfunction.

Attachments

• light_detail.jpg
    light_detail.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 169
  • light_detail3.jpg
    light_detail3.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 214
  • light_detail2.jpg
    light_detail2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 161
  • top-circuit.jpg
    top-circuit.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 216
Lastly, here's the circuit diagram. Thanks to all those on this board who made suggestions to the design.

Here's an MPG movie of the lighthouse in action. As you can see, from about 50 feet away it's a very good approximation of rotation.

**broken link removed**

Attachments

• Lighthouse Circuit.gif
    Lighthouse Circuit.gif
    24.9 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Thanks. It seems like the least we could do for a truly great man who did so much for us.

By the way, here's what the Hatteras light really looks like (courtesy of Wikipedia).

Attachments

• 400px-Cape_hatteras_lighthouse_img_0529.jpg
    400px-Cape_hatteras_lighthouse_img_0529.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back