1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

Lighthouse beacon for yard lighthouse

Discussion in 'Electronic Projects Design/Ideas/Reviews' started by Loxlady, Sep 3, 2017.

1. AnalogKid

AnalogKid Well-Known Member

I don't think so. Separate from changes in intensity, when looking at a lighthouse you can see the beam moving toward and away from you in the imperfections in the glass. There is a constantly changing vector component to the sine-squared amplitude changes.

ak

2. ronsimpson

ronsimpson Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

Not a real lighthouse, a yard lighthouse, or a table top lighthouse. I think a single LED can do this job. Watch the video.

3. dr pepper

dr pepper Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

The vid worked for me ron.
    Good idea that too, I'll remember that idea if the mrs makes another wooden one.

4. dave

Dave New Member

5. AnalogKid

I've watched real ones up and down both coasts, and they all look the same in this regard. From up close, say 0 to 100 yards, I can see the beam approach and retreat. Granted you cannot see that when at sea, but for a model where the observer has a god's-eye view I would think that a simulation of true rotation would be the better effect.

Also, I did watch the video; hence my comment.

ak

6. Externet

Externet Member

7. atferrari

atferrari Well-Known Member

In fact AK, unless the atmosphere is really limpid, you can perceive the beam easily. Just a little of fog or dust in suspension (we call that calima) is all what you need. Even when clouds are low, they help in reflecting the light.

A small stepper would make for a simple solution.

8. MrDEB

MrDEB Active Member

Using a steeper motor you need a method to connect the light to power and still turn the light 360 degrees.
    The electronic approach is the easiest method.
    The working schematic I posted works very well and is low in cost.

9. AnalogKid

Yah, I've seen that (didn't know the name). I'm talking about seeing the beam light up the glass surrounding it. At a distance it looks like the single lamp effect being discussed here, but closer in you can see the light circulate inside the room.

ak