Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anybody imagine the explosion that would occur if somebody accidently put one or two cells in a fan or other motorized product designed for ordinary AA cells?

Banggood can imagine. That's how they named their company.

Banggood is Chinese and does not care if the Meco LiIon batteries from India are illegal and dangerous to be the same size as ordinary AA cells.
Can anybody imagine the explosion that would occur if somebody accidently put one or two cells in a fan or other motorized product designed for ordinary AA cells?

AA is a standard cell form factor, including for lithium cells.

These are some single-use lithium AA cells stocked by Farnell electronics in the UK; they are all 3V or higher:
https://uk.farnell.com/w/c/batterie...argeable?battery-size-code=aa&st=lithium cell

Energizer make AA and AAA single-use Lithium cells but they produce only about 1.5V. They gave me some samples that lasted a very long time. They are too expensive for me to buy.

Energizer make AA and AAA single-use Lithium cells but they produce only about 1.5V. They gave me some samples that lasted a very long time. They are too expensive for me to buy.

In some applications, Energizer lithium last far longer than alkalines, so they are much, much cheaper to use. My digital SLR will kill a set of alkalines with a few hours use; I can't even remember when I last changed out the lithium Energizers.

In some applications, Energizer lithium last far longer than alkalines, so they are much, much cheaper to use. My digital SLR will kill a set of alkalines with a few hours use; I can't even remember when I last changed out the lithium Energizers.
How does NiMH fare?

The Energizer battery company is American and make excellent batteries. I trust their datasheets. They make the only 1.5V lithium non-rechargeable batteries in the world that store for 20 years and have a mAh that is 3.5 times more than alkaline and 1.75 times more than Ni-MH at high currents.

But this thread is about a Chinese company selling lithium batteries from India.

The Energizer battery company is American and make excellent batteries. I trust their datasheets. They make the only 1.5V lithium non-rechargeable batteries in the world that store for 20 years and have a mAh that is 3.5 times more than alkaline and 1.75 times more than Ni-MH at high currents.

But this thread is about a Chinese company selling lithium batteries from India.

Excuse me. The person who brought these up is none other than the person complaining about me mentioning them.

Just because one battery manufacturer, who core business is non-rechargeable batteries, and don't even list Li-Ion batteries at all on their website don't make a specific size of Li-Ion (not surprising when they make none) isn't a very convincing argument.

Perhaps you should try mentioning that Ford or GM don't make AA Li-Ion?, as neither of those make Li-Ion either, so it's just as good a point.

Not at all, it's about the fact that AA is a standard Li-Ion battery size - the fact that I posted a link to one of a number of different AA batteries, from one specific source is pretty well irrelevent. Banggood (and many others) sell a range of different manufacturers AA Li-Ion batteries

Most people in Canada and USA who use rechargeable batteries, buy Ni-MH batteries locally made by Energizer and Duracell, not Li-Ion or Asian ones.
These companies make and sell what people need.

There is a video review that tests the Tenergy Li-Ion 9V battery and others but the video is 7 years old. It shows that the Tenergy battery capacity is almost half of what is rated so they charged and discharged it a few times and it became slightly better. The Asian battery charger is made for charging any kind of 9V rechargeable battery including Li-Ion. Since the Tenergy battery failed the capacity test and other Tenergy Asian rechargeable Lithium batteries I and others have tested, I do not trust China/India datasheets.

Most people in Canada and USA who use rechargeable batteries, buy Ni-MH batteries locally made by Energizer and Duracell, not Li-Ion or Asian ones.
These companies make and sell what people need.

You're stuck in the wrong century - Li-Ion totally wipes the floor with NiMh - if you're wanting to replace old non-rechargeable batteries then they obviously aren't a good choice (but NiMh isn't that good a choice either, as they are the wrong voltage as well). But anything you're building or designing is likely to be MUCH better if you use Li-Ion batteries, rather than inferior options.

Of course a Lithium battery produces more power, is lighter and lasts longer than Ni-MH, but more people use Ni-MH.
All my solar garden lights and flashlights use NI-MH, all my radio controlled model airplanes use Li-Po and my cell phone and camera use Li-Ion.

All my solar garden lights and flashlights use NI-MH

That's because they are cheap crap ones :D

To be fair I don't think you can even get decent quality solar garden lights, but there are plenty of better quality torches that use Li-Ion, in fact I've not even seen an LED torch that uses NiMh?.

Most of my cheap Chinese solar garden lights cost only $0.99 each and have a white LED, a charger and voltage boosting circuit and a solar panel together worth the $0.99. So the Ni-MH AAA cell marked 600mAh but actually is only 200mAh is free. I modify them by adding a Schottky rectifier and capacitor to smooth the boosted voltage, then replaced the white LED with a colors-changing LED.
Usually the cheap Ni-MH cell rusts away within one month so I replace it with a readily available Energizer 800mAh Ni-MH cell.

My cheap Chinese flashlight has 24 white LEDs all in parallel and powered by 3 weak Super Heavy Duty AAA cells. The battery did not last long so I replaced it with 3 Energizer AAA alkaline cells which needed a current-limiting resistor. The on-off switch became intermittent.

Reactions: jjw
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back