Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Leslie simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

cesco

Hi everybody, I'm new here and I think this is the right place to post some questions about a home made circuit for a Leslie (i.e. rotary speaker) simulator I'm going to build.
The project is form a 1971 issue of "Popular Electronics". The schematics can be found **broken link removed**.

Here are the questions:

1) I live in Italy, so I have 220V ac coming out from the electrical grid. How can I modify the transformer/rectifier stage to adapt it to 220V? Or, even better, to allow it to be powered by one (or two) 9V batteries?
1a) Are you able to gather from the schematics what is the voltage at the + end of the rectifier? The problem is to pass from 9V to that voltage. Am I right?

2) The circuit can be bypassed with a footswich connected to J3, using a lamp coupled to a photoresistor (I1\LDR1). I already done that at a hardware hacking lab, with a small photoresistor (5mm of diameters, I don't actually know ohm ranges) and a small LED (again, I can't be more precise) taped together with electrical tape. Are them sufficient, or do I need the precise components pointed out in the schematics? I'm not able to figure out what exactly is a "#46 incandescent panel lamp" and probably the CL703L could be difficult to find.

3) The website in which I found the schematics suggests to use some 2SC1213 transistors for Q1,Q3 and Q4, a MPF102 transistor for Q2 and a 1N5232 zener diode for D1.
All these components are cheap and easy to find, in your opinion are they worth trying?

Thanks a lot in advance for help!

Cesco

You could use two 9V batteries instead of the transformer and rectifier, but I don't know how long they would last.

If you want to use 220V, all you need to do is change the transformer from 110/12 to 220/12

You should maybe increase C1 as the mains frequency is lower. It is always better to have a larger C1

As an alternative, i'm thinking right now of using a spare wall-wart I found at home, which nominally is 230V in - 12V out - 600 mA, and connecting it as the attached schematics, with the two capacitors to prevent "AC ripple", and then hum, and a safety diode.
Should it work, in your opinion?
The nominal current is 600mA, which is twice the current stated on the schematics, but it souldn't be a problem, right?

Attachments

• wall-wart.jpg
    wall-wart.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back