Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED string

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz126

I'm designing an LED strip for work. it will have 6 high power LEDs and a constant current (350mA) regulator on board.

The leds need to be connected in series for the constant current, but I dont want to have all 6 leds go out if a single LED goes open circuit.

Anyone have any ideas how this can be done? I saw a component that was designed for this in a magazine advertisement, but I cant remember what it was.

How about shunting each LED with a Zener-like device that passes current when the voltage across the LED exceeds about 0.5V higher than that LED's normal forward voltage. The big problem will be that the added device will have to dissipate slightly more power than the LED would have been dissipating prior to its failure (~3W)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back