Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED Position Indicator Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo_Boss

Hello Guys,

I really apreciated if any of you can give me a schematic of a circuit project of a LED Position Indicator.

Let me explain what I need. I am going to intall a potentiometer on top of a servo that will have a arm that travel 90º

I need that this circuilt work with 12V to 14V and that it will turn only one led showing me if the arm is at 0º then if the arm move to 10º then it will turn off the led at 0º and it will only lite the LED at 10º then if the servo arm move to 40º it will turn off the LED at 10ºand it will lite the LED telling me that the arm is at 40º

I will do a panel that will include 10 leds and I will put a label on top of each LED starting with 0º 10º 20º 30º 40º 50º 60º 70º 80º 90º

I have been looking on the web for circuit projects with LM3914 but all the projects that I find are volmeter, termometers, RPMs using 10 led segment but I dont find any one that work as a Position Indicator.

I dont know how to design electronic circuits but I know how to follow a diagram.

I reaaly apreciated if you can helpme giving me a schematic of this circuit and the value of the pontentiometer I need to intall over the servo arm.

I am including here a photo of the way I will arrange the LED on the panel so you have a better idea of what I need.

Thank You for your time and help,

Isaac

Attachments

• servo position.JPG
    servo position.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 245
Let me explain what I need. I am going to intall a potentiometer on top of a servo that will have a arm that travel 90º

So using a linear pot you will derive an analog voltage from the pot wiper that is proportional to arm position. I would use the LM3914? You have the voltage to drive it.

Ron

Yes use the LM3914 in dot mode. See **broken link removed**

MODE PIN USE
Pin 9, the Mode Select input controls chaining of multiple LM3914s, and controls bar or dot mode operation.
Bar Graph Display: Wire Mode Select (pin 9) directly to pin 3 (V+ pin).
Dot Display, Single LM3914 Driver: Leave the Mode Select pin open circuit.

The LM3914 is just perfect for your project.

Here is an example I worked out for a supply voltage of 5V which you might get out of your 12-14V power supply. The 5V supply voltage must be stabilized!

RLO (pin4)=0V (tied to ground), RHI (pin6)=5, Refout (pin7)=5V, RefAdj (pin8)=3.75V.

For RefAdj voltage use 9K from ground to pin8, and for Refout use 3K from pin 8 to pin7.

LED current is close to 10mA.

Boncuk

Last edited:
Hello Guys,

Thank you for all your replays.

I dont know how to design the electronic schematic, I "JUST" know how to follow the schematic and build the circuit.

Could it ve posssible that you draw me the complete schematics?

Please, remeber that this circuit will work in a car with altenator and 12V batery

Thank you for your time and help,

Isaac

Did you look here: See **broken link removed**
It shows the circuit apart from the actual power supply.
The power supply can be a simple 7805 regulator type circuit. Google that for the information.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back