Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED Pendulum circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

appleseed

Hi all
i found this circuit design
**broken link removed**

and i was wondering, what's going on with the 7404 ? The description says it is used as the clock, but i cant imagine that. Doesnt the circuit need a timer or a sin wave input?

If the link doesnt work, go to www.schematicsforfree.com then click on "show the files" and then go to the "clocks" section and u will find the design there.

Last edited:
No, it doesnt need any other input for the clock. The RC circuit (with the 7404) is an oscillator that generates the clock. I doubt its very accurate.

Could i use something else instead of the hex inverter?
like a 555 or something?

oh and i was wondering how he came up with the specific values for the capacitors and the resistors (even though u say its not that accurate)

The circuit is 26 years old and uses old-fashioned TTL logic ICs.
Make a more modern circuit with Cmos ICs.

appleseed said:
the teacher says 74xx series, then 74xx series it is.
If it's OK to use a 555, then that will work for your clock generator, in place of the 7404.

Schematics

Thanks Appleseed for a great link re the schematics.

jrz126 said:
No, it doesnt need any other input for the clock. The RC circuit (with the 7404) is an oscillator that generates the clock. I doubt its very accurate.

It doesn't have to be accurate, there is no link between the pendulum and the clock.

It just simulates a pendulum. It won't tick in sync with the clocks second hand, if the clock even has one.

I kind of suspect the teacher would accept a 74HC04. when some one says 74xx logic, they often just mean any of the logic families. why not ask?

A 74HC04 might melt if it is used instead of a 7404 in that oscillator circuit.
74HCxx inputs have a max 450ns spec'd amount of time that they are allowed to spend in the linear region. 74HCxx ICs with schmitt-trigger inputs are recommended for oscillators.

audioguru said:
A 74HC04 might melt if it is used instead of a 7404 in that oscillator circuit.
74HCxx inputs have a max 450ns spec'd amount of time that they are allowed to spend in the linear region. 74HCxx ICs with schmitt-trigger inputs are recommended for oscillators.

so, what do you suggest?

appleseed said:
so, what do you suggest?
My Ultra-bright LED Chaser projects use 74HCxx Schmitt trigger oscillators and work fine.

But your problem is: "the teacher says 74xx series, then 74xx series it is".

If I was doing it, I would build the 74xx circuit and power it from a car battery, and make another with 74HCxx and power it with a little battery.
The old 74xx ICs wasted a lot of power. The newer 74HCxx ICs use hardly any power.

appleseed said:
what about the 74LS
Good idea! :D

I made circuits with LS all the time until I switched to Cmos. LS was fast and had a much lower supply current than ordinary TTL.
But Cmos can't be beat for low power consumption at low speeds:

Attachments

• TTL current comparison.PNG
    TTL current comparison.PNG
    9.3 KB · Views: 211
TTL only 5 Volts DC !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back