Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED Matrix - Illogical pin-out

Status
Not open for further replies.

aardyvarky

I want to know why the 8 x 8 LED arrays that I bought recently have such an illogical pin-out. The anodes appear on 5,2,7,1,12,8,14,9 and the cathodes appear on 13,3,4,10,6,11,15,16 (in that order). I'm using more than one array, but not in a switched matrix.

Moderator: please feel free to move this question to another thread - I couldn't find anything more relevant.
A moderator has moved it!
Created a new thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because it is relatively expensive to have wires cross over each other inside the assembly (added insulation and assembly steps) or inside an integrated circuit. Anything to prevent that lowers cost, including pushing a weird pinout onto the user. Look at the pinouts for older TTL ICs versus newer ones, like the 74LS373 versus the 573. The later "flat" pinout came after years of grumbling, and with a higher price.

ak

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back