Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED Map for the firehouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

swkoellner

I am a New York City Firefighter and I came across this site on google. I am trying to make a map for the firehouse using LEDs and a keypad. What I would like to do is have a keypad set up so when you type in the four digit box number the corresponding LED would light up on the map. There are a little over one thousand box numbers. If anyone can help me out with this project I would appreciate it, or any information to put me in the right direction would be appreciated.

That would be simpler using a plain computer, with an address table to box number.
Entering the box number -->address will show a marker on a (Google) map on screen.

I have a 4x6 response area map with box locations on it that I got from the Battalion. I am trying to do something really nice. If it is to impossible to do I guess I will have to resort to having a button for each individual led, I didnt want to do that tho.

4x6 what ?
Many other ways to do it, with a 32x32 vertical/horizontal grid wires and an led on each crossing plus a decoder circuit like addressing memory locations from the entered box number and a lookup table;
Or a single red laser running on horizontal/vertical stepper motor belts can project a dot at the coordinates. :)
You still need at least a microcontroller with a lookup table and stepper drivers.

You might take a look at thumb wheel switches.
Each of the 1k LEDs would have to be individually wired to a 4 switch 'and' group, but it would be fairly straight forward.
The selection procedure would be strictly manual, and would not reset, but would remain at the last input.
The 7000 series military/industrial version looks promising:
**broken link removed**
.... maybe contact the manufacturer for additional information.

... On second thought ..... this method is going to be a lot of effort to wire up correctly.

However, there ought to be some way to do it without using a PIC or other microprocessor. ....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back