Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED Laser Target

Status
Not open for further replies.

mboehler

Hey everyone,

I would like to build a box to act as a target for a handheld laser pointer. The box I have in mind would have several individual LEDs on the front of it to act as the targets. There will be plenty of space between LED's. What I want to do is have each LED light when the laser beam hits it. After the beam hits it, it should stay lit.

I haven't been able to figure out a circuit to do this. I have seen plenty of ways of using an LED as a light sensor, but haven't seen how to make it light up when this happens. I'd prefer a way to do this without using a microcontroller, if possible.

Any ideas?

Without actually trying it one way to go about this might be using dual LEDs. I mean the three wire flavor that share a common cathode. I am guessing the target area needs to be a single LED at a specific location.

I dig out a generic single red LED. At ambient room light the photovoltaic action produces about 25 to 52 mV. Striking it dead on with a small LASER it produces about .5 Volt. That voltage could likely be amplified using an operational amplifier and passed on to a comparator. If the op amp had a gain of maybe 10 that would give us about 5 volts when the LASER was directly on target. Using a simple inexpensive op amp like a TL084 would work for this and afford 4 op amps in a single package. If the LEDs were slightly recessed in the target that would help eliminate ambient light.

The TL084 output could be passed on to a comparator circuit using a chip like the LM339. The LM339 would afford 4 comparators in a single chip. When the op amp output exceeded a set level (reference) the comparator output could be configured to swing high. Even if only momentarily when the LASER was striking the target, the comparator output would be a high.

(Possibly the comparator could be eliminated, I am not sure.)

That transition could possibly be used to trigger a F/F (Flip Flop) as was mentioned. The F/F would toggle states on the clock input and the F/F output would trigger the LED on. THat LED being the other LED in the dual LED package. The F/F could be a chip like the 7474 which would provide two flip flops per package. Once turned on the LED would remain on till the F/F was reset.

Something along those lines might work. I have no clue as I have not tried it. I can tell you this, hitting and holding the LASER steady on a 3 mm LED was not easy. :)

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back