Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED Flashlight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I'm building an LED flashlight. It uses 12 high power LEDs, and what it all comes down to is that at 4.5V (3 "D" cells), I only need 5 Ohms of resistance. Now, a whole lot of energy goes into heating up that 5 Ohm resistor a whole lot. Is there a more effecient way? What I'd like is to be able to perhaps use PWM to short the battery out through the leds in quick bursts or something to that effect. I can use discreet components, but preferably stuff I could control from a uC. (Transistor, ADC for voltage/current sense built-in with the uC I'm using, a PIC16F876).

Thanks!

**broken link removed**

They want 30mA, but I'm considering either 25 or 20mA for better efficiency. (It doesn't look that much dimmer). The forward voltage is around 2V. I'm thinking of using a step-down regulator (97% efficiency, from National Semi) to give a PIC a constant 2.xV, and then drive the LEDs directly from the PIC by shorting the outputs to ground through the LED. The outputs on PICs can sink/source 25mA, so...

Is that idea any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back