Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED Blinker Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonathan

I am trying to make an LED blinker for a more powerful light than a regular LED. The light I am using requires 12 volts and 6 amps. I am trying hook up 10 or so lights. This would obviously blow most PICs. Any suggestions on a PIC that would be able to handle this much power? If possible I would like to program the chip with assembler.

I think that I could write the code but setting up the hardware is where I am having trouble. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks for the help.

Hi jonathan!

Your're right, PIC can't handle so much power. Usually they can provide up to 20 mA output on each pin.

There are two possible solutions: a) use a relay
b) use a transistor switch

I'm sorry but I cannot post any schematics at the moment (I'm not at my PC) but you can search the Internet for "transistor activated relay" or "transistor as a switch" (or something similar). Happy searching...

so you have 12V/6A bulb?
thats a lot of power.....
are you sure it is not 6W? or maybe 0.6A?
anyway....
a relay driven by a transistor would be the best solution
since you have to switch all that power a power transistor will be too expensive and probably it will dissipate too much heat

Wow! I just now realized that you have a 6A light bulb. Definitely use a relay if that is true :)
I mean, that is 12V * 6A = 72W! Car headlights usually have "only" 50W.
By the way, what power supply are you using???

are you SURE the lamps are 6A? and also that you want to hook up so many in paralel?
i mean you will need a huger relay, and also some quite thick wires.....
6A * 10=60A ...huge relay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back