Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED backlighting photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

keystar

As an amateur photographer, I would like to display photographs on my wall using LED backlighting. The idea is to use an acrylic plate, possibly with the photos etched into the plate with an LED lit background, using either an electrical, or battery power source. LED’s because of their low power consumption and longer life, and choice of colors. The photos would range in different sizes, ie. 3 x 5, 5 x 7, 8 x 10 inch. Also new to electronics but willing to learn what would be needed for this project. Any input would be appreciated. Where to start. What to purchase. Recommendation as to how to go about it. Thanks for any input you can give. Chris

Interesting idea, I do not know how the 'etching' into acrylic process works nor remeber seeing such a photo so I cannot comment on that.
But, with acrylic, if the *edges* of the acrylic sheet are highly polished, light that is directed into an edge will travel right to the other side and illuminate the sheet from within. You see that effect on the display panels of some older electronic equipment, especially one made before LCD displays took over.
You might have to use more than one LED or use one at each edge, experimenting will tell you. The picture is, of course, behind the acrylic but in contact with it.
'Back lighting' is a bit of a misnomer there since the light would not shine through the back. LED's, with their narrow light beams, are not very good at evenly illuminating something from the 'back' side.
You would have to make a hollow picture frame to house the batteries which power the LED's unless you devise a way to use the picture hanging wire to carry the electricity to the frame. In that case keep it all low voltage and don't forget that you need a dropping resistor for each LED to limit its current.
Klaus

you might want to look at electroluminescent wire or "glowire" it comes in range of colours including white :idea:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back