Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LEAD-FREE Solder

Status
Not open for further replies.

OY2L

Is there some different using lead free or normal lead solder? Is the lead free solder just as good?

For the most part it's just as good. The largest difference is that it is a lot harder to work with. It doesn't wet as well or melt as easily (which is a disadvantage during work and rework but an advantage once the thing is built.

There is also whiskering problems, but it's likely to not cause you any problems unless you are using tiny tiny high density circuits that are going to be used for a long time.

Without the presence of lead, tin forms tiny crystals that can short out the circuitry. It is for extremely tiny stuff though, like TQFP. I usually use 57 tin 40 lead and 3 silver.

Don't use lead-free solder unless you have to. It has no advantage over the leaded versions and it's generally harder to use. The only reason it's used is to meet the EU RoHS requirements to allow safer recycling of electronic components.

I would suggest that you do obtain a small reel ' have a go ' and get used to using it, even old hands at PCB assembly in a commercial environment are having some difficulty getting used to the way it behaves. So learning now will put you at an advantage if you ever decide to put your hobby skills to work and earn a living from them.

If I lived in a country where lead solder was banned, I would smuggle it in.

Lead free sucks. 63/37 fo' life, yo.

I agree with the last two posts. Lead-free also has a higher melting point. But, I fear, that the world will follow suit with the EU and Japan eventially.

I have about 8 pounds of solder rolls laying around.

I agree with the last two posts. Lead-free also has a higher melting point. But, I fear, that the world will follow suit with the EU and Japan eventially.

They just would not have it in commercial products anymore, I don't think they would stop production of it completely. If they did it is time to buy more :)

I have to say, lead-free does take more work time, IMO. Lead does flow much better! But it really is just learning a new style is all, and like stated a good idea to learn, as the industry is heading lead-free by the looks of it.

-BaC

LMAO@Thug Life! For me it would be the Misty my ex trailer wife..bad thing is that part is true..and a big 0 for what I had left..lol

EDIT: After saying that let me clarify that the tattoo is on my shoulder...All I would need if the above was true was a wife beater and a cop to explain "why did you think I put it on my knuckles." Missing teeth and maybe a cheek full of Chaw..lol

-BaC
I need to get "6 3 3 7" tattooed on my fingers. Of course, I'd have to get the existing "THUG LIFE" removed...

Last edited:
LOL yeah that and a morning smoke, nothing better than a double shot of carcinogens to start your day off right..

-BaC

Nothing quite like the smell of solder in the morning

LOL yeah that and a morning smoke, nothing better than a double shot of carcinogens to start your day off right..
-BaC
Cigarette smoke is far worse then the solder smoke. Nigel has better info, but for the most part the fumes from solder are more or less harmless. The fumes are generated by the flux not the metal. If the lead and lead free solder use the same flux there will be no difference. Depending on what flux is used in the lead free solder, it could be worse.

Cigarette smoke is far worse then the solder smoke. Nigel has better info, but for the most part the fumes from solder are more or less harmless. The fumes are generated by the flux not the metal. If the lead and lead free solder use the same flux there will be no difference. Depending on what flux is used in the lead free solder, it could be worse.

Yes, nothing particularly dangerous in fumes from soldering - the cause for concern over it was a VERY slight chance of the flux fumes triggering an asthma attack - although incidences of this were incredibly low, and ONLY in a production environment.

However, but because of this very slight chance extraction systems were developed, and the flux changed to a far less effective type, which doesn't cause the possible problem at all.

Here in the EU you can't buy lead solder but I've never used lead free because I've got loads of lead solder left over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back