Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD SPI projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi C,
I get a page read error when clicking your link.
E
EDIT:
Have you a specific project in mind.?

Last edited:
hi C,
I get a page read error when clicking your link.
E
EDIT:
Have you a specific project in mind.?
Hi E,
I have lots of ideas, but to put some sense to it, first I would like to make a test PCB to test some modules.
Here are 3x PDFs for GPS, Barometer and Compass:
The actual modules may change, but they will all be SPI.

NOTE: After reading the Barometer PDF, I found that they need special care, handling, soldering and cleanliness. I had to order for some special solder paste too.
EDIT: I've just ordered some of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMP280-3-3...ospheric-Arduino-Replace-BMP180-/321988583888
C.

Attachments

• NEO-M8 GPS.pdf
    909.6 KB · Views: 285
  • Barometric sensor.pdf
    434.1 KB · Views: 287
  • Digital compass SPI LSM303D.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 254
  • NEO-8 APM.jpg
    NEO-8 APM.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 250
  • Barometer module BMP280.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 284
Last edited:
NOTE: After reading the Barometer PDF, I found that they need special care, handling, soldering and cleanliness. I had to order for some special solder paste too.
C.

Why not buy the sensor ready mounted on a breakout board? - there are plenty of such items easily available at low cost, usually aimed at Arduino users, plus lot's of example projects (using 5110 LCD's), again aimed at Arduino users - YouTube is a good place to look.

Why not buy the sensor ready mounted on a breakout board? - there are plenty of such items easily available at low cost, usually aimed at Arduino users, plus lot's of example projects (using 5110 LCD's), again aimed at Arduino users - YouTube is a good place to look.
Hi N,
I went to a lecture about balloon tracking, then watched and tracked a balloon (http://habhub.org/), where I saw tiny lightweight circuits, which I aspire to be able to make.
C.

Hi N,
I had a rethink! As the GPS modules prefer to be away from the circuit, I'll add a socket to the board.
I'll also add one for the Compass, as it may be better for placement.
Thanks.
C.

Hi E,
I've just updated #4 as I've ordered some modules.

Barometer sensor: I'm making a circuit with the earlier surface mount sensor, but I've just ordered some more already mounted on boards BMP280.

GPS modules: I've ordered some GPS modules NEO-8M, and they come on boards too (Including voltage regulator antenna etc) . They appear to be RX TX operated, but I'm sure SPI can be used if wired appropriately.
C.

Hi,
I am changing PICs fro 18LF2520 to 18LF4520, because while redrawing the Schematic I realise that I will have to start again if I run out of PINs.

NOTE: from now on all of the PIN outs will be different from above examples!
C.

Hi,
I am changing PICs fro 18LF2520 to 18LF4520, because while redrawing the Schematic I realise that I will have to start again if I run out of PINs.

NOTE: from now on all of the PIN outs will be different from above examples!
C.

Interesting, I've ordered some 18F26K22's, rather than the 46K22's because the 26 is smaller :D

I don't really find 24 I/O pins particularly limiting, and the 40 pin devices just seem rather large?.

Hi N,
Size was the reason I wanted to use 5110 LCDs, and I realise the 18F4520 is a bit big, so I tried surface mount 18LF4520, which is 3.3v and if I'm correct, is less than 15mm square and flatish.
C.

Hi N,
Size was the reason I wanted to use 5110 LCDs, and I realise the 18F4520 is a bit big, so I tried surface mount 18LF4520, which is 3.3v and if I'm correct, is less than 15mm square and flatish.
C.

Yes, SM versions are (or can be) nice and small - but don't fit too well on Veroboard :D

Incidentally, a 28 pin skinny DIP PIC will fit underneath a 5110, so is plenty small enough.

Hi,
Here's a schematic of a prototype PCB.
Any comments, corrections please.
EDIT: Updated 011117
C

Attachments

• SCH.gif
    SCH.gif
    42 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

I've not seen those specific ones, but I have seen similar - but they don't give you 'skinny DIP' anyway, which is one reason for choosing the chips that size. I have used similar 8 pin adaptors to convert memory chips.

BTW, my 18F's have arrived, I've stuck one in my new board, connected my new TFT board to it, inserted a 240x320 TFT and loaded the TFT demo I'd got (and configured to suit my TFT board). It worked first time :D

If I can get some sort of decent recording, I'll stick a video up.

hi,
I have just received my 2.2 inch colour SPI ILI9225 TFTs, my initial reaction is considering using Oshonsoft basic will be a non starter.
May have to familiarise my self with the programming by using Arduino libs and demo's before attempting the Basic.

E

hi,
I have just received my 2.2 inch colour SPI ILI9225 TFTs, my initial reaction is considering using Oshonsoft basic will be a non starter.
May have to familiarise my self with the programming by using Arduino libs and demo's before attempting the Basic.

I really think porting Arduino libraries is the way to go, there's just so much Arduino stuff out there.

The most popular Arduino graphics library is the Ada_Fruit one, who also provide various libraries to interface to different graphics modules (but not this one?).

This is the library I found, while I'm still waiting for mine to arrive:

https://github.com/Nkawu/TFT_22_ILI9225

hi,
Unable to get a correct compile, used the direct method for the lib. Downloaded the zip from Nigel Goodwin post , ie: git hub
***Direct Install:***
* Click the **Download ZIP** button on the right to download **TFT_22_ILI9225-master.zip**
* Extract the ZIP file to the library folder your *arduinosketchfolder*/libraries/ folder. You may need to create the libraries subfolder if it's your first library.
* Rename the uncompressed folder from **TFT_22_ILI9225-master** to **TFT_22_ILI9225**
* Restart the Arduino IDE

This is the error msg in Arduino
A001.gif

Tried a number of times.

E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back